On a Saturday we are often in our local high street and we used to frequent a certain coffee shop. My husband Howard, would often buy my son Ted a drink from the local supermarket to save money. Ted didn’t mind as long as he was getting a drink. The difficulty came when he wanted to choose the drink we would buy.
Since giving up processed foods and sugars I have been learning about food and exactly what they add to it. We normally only buy Ted a flavoured water. Thankfully he doesn’t enjoy a fizzy drink. So if you like to read packets like me then you will know that not all flavoured waters are made from pure fruit.
A lot of the water that claims to have fruit in it will also have added chemicals to preserve it and keep it on the shelf longer. The other day I was watching a Jamie Oliver video in which he made a flavoured fruit water. I decided to give it a go myself. Jamie’s was a fruit punch, but I thought I would make a strawberry drink, it being summer. It was so simple and easy to do. I loved it and I’m sure you will too. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you like flavoured waters and have you ever made your own? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large glass bowl
- Strawberries x 12 – 15
- Vanilla pod x 1
- Hot water x enough to fill the bowl
- Start by hulling the strawberries.
- To hull a strawberry, insert a small knife into the top of a strawberry near the green leaves.
- Using the knife, cut around the outside and back to the start.
- Pull on the green leaves which will take out that part of the strawberry and the stem inside.
- Repeat the process until all the strawberries are hulled.
- Put the hulled strawberries in the glass bowl along with the vanilla pod.
- Fill the kettle and bring it to the boil.
- Pour over the hot water and leave everything in the bowl.
- Let the water cool completely.
- Put into the fridge until completely cold.
- Serve from the bowl or pour the drink into a jug.
- Then enjoy.
Strawberry and Vanilla Water was a delicious way to spice up our water. As I mentioned I loved it but my husband Howard and son Ted were not so keen. Ted didn’t like it and Howard thought it was OK. Personally I think they are crazy and to me, it was so yummy and very refreshing. It was an invigorating way to drink water and one I will definitely be making again. The water will keep in the fridge for about 3 to 5 days. However you decide to drink this water, as always, please enjoy.