Beans, beans, beans and more beans! I love them and I especially like butter beans. All beans are packed with fibre and protein and they are a great source of iron as well. They are also very filling and they are very cheap too. If you read my blog, you will know I tend to use a lot of beans in my cooking.
The other day I decided to roast a tin of butter beans. I had not done this before and I wondered what would happen when I did. To be honest I really wasn’t expecting the results I got. The beans did pop slightly in the oven but they were delicious. My son Ted, who is a fussy eater, even asked me what I was cooking when I pulled the tray from the oven. The butter beans in spices made a great savoury snack.
- Kitchen towel
- Baking tray
- Plastic brush
- Butter Beans x 1 tin or beans of your choice
- Olive oil x 2 tbsps
- Ground sumac x 1 tsp
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Garlic granules x 1 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Open the tin of butter beans or beans or your choice.
- Pour the contents into a colander and drain the water.
- Wash the beans under a cold water tap.
- Grab a couple of sheets of kitchen towel and dry the beans in between the sheets.
- Put the dry-ish beans onto the baking tray and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Brush the oil over the beans as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle over the spices and herbs and the salt and pepper.
- Toss all the ingredients together.
- Once the oven has preheated, put the tray into the oven.
- Cook the beans for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Then remove and leave to cool.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Sumac Spiced Roasted Beans were a massive hit with me. My lovely little family did not try these beans. I ate the beans as a snack but I also tried them in a warm salad too. The beans did explode a little in the oven but they were delicious. I think the recipe would work with any white bean. If you have a tin leftover from the last lockdown then please feel free to try this recipe. It was so yummy. However you decide to eat these beans, as always, please enjoy! xxx