Once upon a time, an Indian takeaway would have been an ideal Saturday night treat. My husband Howard is very much a Chinese takeaway kind of guy and I do like a Chinese too. Although, nothing beats an Indian meal for me.
In recent months, I have been experimenting with spices and mixing them into all different kinds of meals. I have also been looking at what to use in a Masala. If I was ordering an Indian now this would be one dish I would always consider.
Nowadays I don’t need to consider it as I’ve learned how to cook it to perfection. We ate this on a Saturday and it was such a tasty treat. Plus it was made in the slow cooker so felt like we’d been to the takeaway to buy it. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Have you made curries at home that you never thought possible before and will you be cooking this one? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- Slow cooker
Ingredients for the paste
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Ground black pepper x 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala x 1 tsp
- Ground tumeric x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon or ground cinnamon x 1/2 tsp
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar x 1 tbsps
- Olive oil or an oil of your choice x 2 tbsps
- Salt x 1 – 2 pinches
Method for the paste
- Put the ground cumin, ground coriander, ground black pepper, garam masala, ground tumeric, ground sweet cinnamon, mild or hot chilli powder, apple cider vinegar and oil in a the mixing bowl and stir.
- Set these ingredients aside.
Ingredients for the Chicken Tikka Masala
- Chicken breast x 500g
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 3 cloves
- Ginger x 1 inch piece
- Red pepper x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Butternut squash x 200g
- Carrot x 1
- Tinned tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Chicken stock or bone broth x 250mls
- Coconut cream x 100mls
- Rice flour x 2 tbsps
- Green beans x 2 large handfuls
- Peel and slice the garlic and ginger.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces and set aside.
- Add the coconut cream to the bowl with the paste in it and stir together.
- Put the chicken, garlic and ginger into the bowl.
- Cover the chicken pieces in the paste and cream mixture.
- Once everything is covered in the mixture put it into the fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
- Next peel, slice and chop the onion.
- Cut the top from the pepper, remove the stalk and core.
- Peel the courgette, butternut squash and carrot.
- Next cut these vegetables into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Place all of these vegetables into the slow cooker pot.
- Also put the green beans in at this time too.
- Pour over the tomatoes and chicken stock or bone broth.
- Then stir in the marinaded chicken and rice or plain flour.
- Put the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Cook your rice or quinoa as per the packet instructions at the end of the cooking process.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooked Creamy Chicken Tikka Masala was a delicious dish that my whole family enjoyed. It was one meal we will be eating again. Especially if it’s a Saturday night too. The ingredients in this dish are freezable and you could make double of the dinner. It can be frozen and eaten on another occasion. It would certainly feel like a takeaway if all you had to do was boil rice and heat up the dish. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy. Thank you. xxx