Mornings for me are the best part of the day. I love to wake up early and start my day being as productive as I can be. That means I’m always in need of a good breakfast too. Egg sandwiches were always a favourite of mine as a kid. My dad would make them for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon lunch. Nowadays I tend to eat eggs in the morning and bread is also off my menu too.
Since giving up processed foods and sugars I discovered a gluten intolerance. It means I can no long eat toast and to be honest I’m not really a fan of gluten free bread. Therefore I have started to look for alternatives to bread. Chickpea flour wraps have made a brilliant bread replacement. I decided to try my dear old dads egg sandwiches with chickpea flour wraps instead. Plus I added an avocado as an alternative mayonnaise too. It made a delicious breakfast which was a big hit with me and one I will be eating again.
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Frying pan
- Fish slice
- Chickpea flour x 120g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Oat milk x 100mls (or a milk of your choice)
- Pinch of salt
- Oil for the frying pan
- Eggs x 2
- Salt x 1 pinch
- Avocado x 1/2
- Kale x 1 handful
- Pour water into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Put the egg carefully into the water and boil for 6 – 8 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt to stop the eggs from cracking in the pan.
- While the eggs are boiling weigh the chickpea flour in the small mixing bowl.
- Add in the baking powder and salt.
- Mix these two ingredients together.
- Now pour over the milk and stir everything together until the mixture resembles a pancake mix.
- Put the pan on a high heat and add oil to the base.
- Wait for the pan to heat up and once hot, pour in a quarter of the mixture.
- When the wrap starts to cook around the outside, flip it over.
- Carefully remove the wrap from the base of the pan.
- It doesn’t matter if it splits it will glue back together again.
- Turn the wrap over and cook on the other side.
- Once the outside of the wrap is cooked on both sides, turn over to check and remove from the pan.
- Pour in another quarter of the mixture and repeat the process for the rest.
- When the eggs have boiled place them into a bowl of cold water and leave for a couple of minutes.
- Once the eggs have cooled crack and remove the shells.
- Put them into the small mixing bowl and mash with a folk.
- Then put the avocado half into the bowl and mash these ingredients together.
- You may want to add a little olive oil to help with the mashing.
- When everything is well mashed together spread the mixture over one of the chickpea flour wraps.
- Put the kale on top of the mix and then place the other wrap on top.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Egg and Avocado Sandwich on Chickpea Flour Wraps was a huge hit with me. As I explained in my previous blog post my husband Howard and son Ted enjoy eating eggs on toast for breakfast so I don’t think they feel they have missed out on this breakfast. Although I ate this dish in the morning it could make a delicious lunch or even a great snack dinner. It could also be taken with you too. Put in in a tupperware box and throw it a bag. If you don’t mind the smell of egg sandwiches?!?! However you decide to eat this dish as always please enjoy. Thank you xxx