Herbs and spices are my best friend in the kitchen. Nowadays there is ample evidence that herbs and spices possess antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticarcinogenic, and glucose- and cholesterol-lowering activities as well as properties that can affect the brain and mood. Herbs and spices not only flavour the taste of meals but they can help to protect against chronic diseases as well.
Many years ago herbs and spices were used to flavour food but they were also used for medical purposes. Studies now suggest that herbs and spices contain a diverse variety of health properties. The spices in this dish contain a huge range of antioxidants that can help the body to thrive. I really enjoy using spices in my cooking. What I love knowing the most is that they are going to help not not my body but the the people I cook for too.
What are your favourite spices and in what dishes do you use spices? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Potato peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pans x 2
- Onion x 1
- Potato x 800g
- Mild, medium or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Garlic granules x 1 tsps
- Dried herbs x 2 tsps
- Vegan or unsalted butter or ghee x 2 knobs
- Olive or sunflower oil x 1 – 2 tbsp
- Preheat the grill on medium to high.
- Peel and thinly slice an onion and set aside.
- Next peel and coarsely grate the potatoes.
- Put the grated potatoes and sliced onion into the large mixing bowl.
- Add in the mild, medium or hot chilli powder, ground ginger, ground sweet cinnamon and garlic granules.
- Mix the spices in with the potatoes and set the bowl aside
- Put a large frying pan on a medium to high heat.
- Add two large knobs of a butter of your choice and the olive or sunflower oil.
- Once the pan is hot add the onion and potato mixture.
- Fry until it starts to soften and stick together.
- It should take at least 3 – 5 minutes.
- When the onion starts to soften add in the potato and fry until it becomes golden brown.
- If the frying pan starts to smoke then turn the heat down.
- The potato will start to glue together but just keep moving it around the pan until it’s all a nice golden colour.
- Then pat it down until it’s flat and put it under the grill until the whole hash brown is golden brown.
- Once everything is cooked, remove it and serve with Ketchup or my homemade Tommy K.
- Then enjoy.
Spicy Hash Browns were a hit with my husband Howard and myself. My son Ted didn’t really enjoy these hash browns. He unfortunately found these hash browns too spicy. Ted enjoys food that is slightly spicy but I think this was to much. We ate them with a soup but they would be delicious with sausages or burgers and beans. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx