Rocket and broccoli are now two of my son Ted’s favourite vegetables! Ted isn’t a big veg fan but recently he has become more interested in green veggies. Now I’m not a person to miss an opportunity. While my son is enjoying these greens I decided to try a new meal on my little family.
Sauces including pesto are a great way to hide vegetables. Ted ate the whole lot which is rare for him. Therefore I am going to conclude by suggesting this dish was a success. We loved it and we hope you enjoy it too. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Are there any veggies you don’t enjoy unless it’s mixed into another meal and if so what? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and follow me.
- Broccoli x 1 head
- Rocket x 1 handful
- Pine nuts x 100g
- Olive oil x 80mls plus extra for frying the chicken
- Basil x 1 large handful
- Lemon x 1 juice and zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the broccoli into florets.
- Put the saucepan onto a high heat and add water to the base of the pan.
- Add salt to the water, bring the pan to the boil then add in the broccoli florets.
- When the broccoli florets are able to fall from a fork easily they are cooked.
- Remove from the heat and drain through the colander over the sink.
- Leave to cool for about 5 minutes or so.
- Place the pine nuts, olive oil, basil, cooked broccoli, rocket lemon juice and zest and salt and pepper to taste into the food processor and blend until smooth ish.
- Boil the pasta as per the packet instructions.
- Pour the pesto into the base of the large saucepan when the pasta have been drain.
- Then put the pasta on top of the pesto and stir these ingredients together.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Mean Green Pesto was a hit in our house. It was an easy meal to prepare and cook. All the ingredients in this dish are freezable so you can make a big batch and freeze it. We also decided to add tuna to the dish too. You could add meat, a variety of cheeses and tofu to the meal to add more protein. It made a delicious leftover lunch as well. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx