Dates are a fantastic natural product that are delicious to eat and very versatile. These date balls are quick, easy and simple to make. They make a great snack or after dinner treat. This recipe is full of the goodness needed to digest your dinner or give you energy for the day ahead.
The reason dates are such a great food is because they contain essential oils, calcium, sulphur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium. The massive health benefits of the dates have made them one of the best for muscle development. They can regulate and significantly boost energy levels in people within half an hour of consuming them.
Cashew nuts are also a great source of essential minerals and vitamins. These nuts contain manganese, potassium, copper, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium. Other vitamins in cashews include pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), riboflavin and thiamin (vitamin B-1). These vitamins are great for the metabolism of protein, carbohydrates and fat at the cellular level. Cashew nuts are also thought to provide antioxidant and protective UV ray filtering functions. These help to prevent age related mascular degenerations (ARMD) in the elderly.
As you already know, coconut is one of my favourite ingredients. It is great at helping to prevent obesity as it speeds up the metabolism and it is another immediate source of energy with fewer calories than other fats. It can improve heart health and is high in dietary fibre. A fantastic fact about coconut is that it has been proven to reduce sweet cravings as it improves the insulin secretion. The healthy fats in coconut slow down any rise in blood sugar and therefore help to reduce the hypoglycemic cravings.
The final food in these yummy date balls is raw chocolate. Raw Cacao powder can be bought on the internet or in most local health food shops. Raw chocolate has been proven to lower blood pressure and improve circulation. It can promote cardiovascular function and health. It improves digestion and the most important reason to love raw chocolate is it improves your physical and mental well being. We all need a little bit of happiness and these date balls are happiness plus more.
Makes about sixteen – twenty balls.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Sauce pan
- Food processor or stick blender and bowl
- Bowls x 2
- Medjool dates x 100g
- Cashew nut butter x 100g
- Dessicated coconut x 100g, plus extra for dusting
- Raw cacao powder x 60g
- Orange x 1 large or ginger x 2 tsp or cinnamon x 2 tsp
- Start by removing the stones from the dates on the chopping board.
- Next fill the sauce pan with about 20mls of water.
- Add all the dates to the water and place on the stove for about 5 minutes on a high heat. (If using orange as a flavouring then just add the juice and the zest to the dates before boiling).
- The water should dissolve and the dates will begin to stick together.
- Once this starts to happen, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Finally place the cashew nut butter, dessicated coconut, raw cacao powder and flavouring of your choice to the mix in the food processor. Or if using a stick blender then add to the bowl.
- For example, if using ginger then add the ginger or if using the cinnamon then add the cinnamon.
- Please see above for the the orange recipe.
- Mix together all of the ingredients until a firm mixture forms.
- Remove from the food processor into a bowl.
- Spread the extra dessicated coconut onto a plate
- Roll the mix into balls, any size you prefer and then roll in the desiccated coconut.
- Eat immediately or put in the fridge.
These are great for a quick energy boost and a lovely snack. I have also made these as presents for my friends. They are always well received and I love to share them with others. Hopefully you will too. Enjoy!