Salmon, cheese and veggie omelette is a great dish that is full of flavour. It’s a quick, easy and relatively cheap meal to feed the whole family on. My son, I’m really pleased to say, loves fish and normally he eats everything on his plate when this is served to him.
In this recipe I have three main ingredients. The first and most important is the salmon. Fish and shellfish are very nutrient dense but salmon is a superfood. Salmon are described as anadromous because they are born in fresh water. Then they spend a large portion of their lives navigating the open sea only to swim back to their birthplace in order to spawn. This extraordinary homing mechanism is said to be attributed to their memory (memory of smell). It is a reason why these intelligent fish are considered brain food.
The next ingredient in this recipe is cheese. I love cheese and new research is showing that the saturated fat found in it has a minimal impact on heart disease. In fact, cheese contains a whole host of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. The high quality protein cheese provides the body with are essential building blocks for strong muscles. Cheese is among the richest dietary sources of calcium which plays an essential role in bone health. It also has vitamin B12, sodium, phosphorus, selenium, zinc, riboflavin, vitamin A and vitamin K2.
Eggs are a very good source of inexpensive, high quality protein. More than half the protein of an egg is found in the egg white along with vitamin B2 and lower amounts of fat and cholesterol than the yolk. The whites are a rich source of selenium, vitamin B, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper. Egg yolk contains more calories and fat but they are a good source of soluble vitamins which include vitamin A, D, E and K.
We buy our eggs from our local farm shop as they are organic and I think they taste great. The vegetables in this recipe are also brought from the local farm shop as we are trying to buy as locally as possible nowadays.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Baking tray
- Large eggs x 6 (free range, preferably organic)
- Salmon x 500g
- Mature cheddar cheese x 100g
- Onion or leek x 1 small
- Red pepper x 1
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Rub the salmon with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon on the baking tray and put in the oven for 15 – 20 mins or until the salmon flesh falls away from the skin with a fork.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile turn the grill on.
- Grate the cheese and then the courgette.
- Slice the onion or leek finely and chop the red pepper into small pieces.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the frying pan on a medium heat and add a little olive oil.
- Once the pan is hot enough, add the onion or leek and the red pepper.
- Fry until they start to soften, so for a good five to ten minutes.
- Add the courgette and fry for a further two minutes.
- Next add the eggs to the pan and begin to mix the eggs in with the vegetables.
- The egg will start to form a base in the bottom of the pan.
- Remove any skin there may be on the salmon by pulling at it with a fork.
- Then add the pieces of fish to the omelette spreading them evenly as you go.
- Finally spread the cheese evenly and place under the grill until the top is cooked and the cheese is bubbling nicely.
So this dish is a simple but easy recipe for the whole family to enjoy. We love to eat it with a salad or peas and or course, my tommy K. It’s packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals and no one will walk away from the table hungry. As always, enjoy!