As I have mentioned before my Dad was not a great fish lover but he did love pate. I remember him making mackerel pate for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. My mum would encourage him to make fish dishes. She believes that fish, especially oily fish, is good for you. So if Dad decided to make a fishy food, my mum would be right behind him cheering him on.
Dad loved rich tasting food so mackerel was a fish he really enjoyed eating. He also loved to experiment with food and he would take pleasure in inventing dishes. He would find a recipe and always find a way to change that recipe and to make it his own. So my recipe is loosely based on my Dad’s but it’s not exactly the same.
We would normally eat his homemade pate with toast and it was such a great lunch time treat. I remember eating the pate but I’m not sure if I liked it much as a child. I think the flavour was too strong for me but as an adult I’m more than happy to eat this food. Nowadays I’m a big fish fan and love mackerel. Plus this dish is a simple but delicious way to eat fresh fish. Well worth a try.
- Food processor/Nutribullet/Blender
- Fork/ juicer
- Bowl for serving
- Mackerel (tinned or fresh [boneless, skinless])
- Cream Cheese, Sour cream or quark x 8 tbsp
- Dijon mustard x 1 tsp
- Lemon x 1 juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by putting the mackerel, cream cheese, sour cream or quark into the food processor, nutribullet or blender.
- Put the dijon mustard and juice the lemon in with a juicer or fork.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend all of these ingredients together.
- Once blended into a smooth paste, remove from the blender.
- Put into the serving bowl.
- Serve with a nice piece of spelt flour bread and salad.
- Then enjoy.
Mackerel Pate is a great lunch time treat but could also be served as a starter at a dinner party. Plus all the ingredients can be frozen so you could make this dish in advance of a meal. I really enjoyed eating this pate all by myself. It was yummy and however you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy! xxx
What sort of pate do you enjoy eating? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx