Smoothies are a great way to enjoy summer fruits, but recently I have been adding herbs to my fresh drink in the morning. Basil has a refreshing taste and in this hot weather that’s exactly what I have needed. Plus basil is a fantastic herbs that has immune boosting properties.
Basil is a common aromatic herb that can be found in most supermarkets and shops. It belongs to the mint family and basil is related to oregano and rosemary. Basil has been used in Ayurvedic herbal treatments for thousands of years. It can be made into teas, ointments and tonics.
The oil from the basil plant (basil essential oil) is proven to help prevent a wide range of health conditions. It makes basil one of the most important medical herbs known today. So a great food to eat for breakfast to help those digestive enzymes in the morning. The basil and strawberry are fresh tasting and they really compliment each other. It may seem like a strange combination, but honestly, it really works.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Strawberries x 8 -10 large
- Banana x 1 very ripe
- Basil x 1 small handful
- Spinach x 1 small handful
- Brazil nuts x 5
- Pumpkin seeds x 1 small handful
- Dates x 2
- Chia seeds x 2 tsps
- Maca powder x 1 tsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut water or a milk of your choice x 250mls
- To hull the strawberries insert the small knife into the top of the strawberry near the green leafs.
- Using the knife, cut around the outside and back to the start.
- Put the knife down.
- Twist the top of the strawberry and you should remove the green leaves and the stem inside.
- Once all the strawberries have been hulled put them into the Nutribullet or blender.
- Peel the banana, break it with your hands into large pieces and put them in.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and then put the lid on.
- Blend until all the ingredients are smooth.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Smoothies are a fantastic breakfast for all those who are on the go in the morning. They are quick, simple and easy to do. Plus, they can make a fantastic mid-morning or afternoon snack. All the ingredients in this smoothie are freezable so it can be made in advance of a meal. It can also be made the night before and then it can be a really fast breakfast on the go. However you decide to eat/drink this smoothie, as always, enjoy.