Gifts from Grandpa is my NEW recipe book – out NOW and available to buy on Amazon for only £19.99. Plus £1 from the sale of each book will go to Crisis the homeless charity.
In my teens and early twenties I used to work part time in a supermarket that sold the best cheese and pickle sandwiches. Every Saturday, when I was working in the shop, I would buy myself this sandwich. It would be like my treat for working hard all week.
Cheese and pickle is a brilliant combination. I used to love it in a sandwich but since becoming gluten intolerant I can no longer eat this type of food anymore. I’m not a fan of gluten free bread as I think they wash the gluten from the bread with chemicals. Plus I’m not eating a lot of cheese at the moment either.
So I came up with this delicious alternative. It’s a vegan version of a cheese and pickle sandwich. I have used my cashew nut cream cheese and my pickle to make this delicious sandwich. Instead of bread I made a savoury vegan version of my sweet potato pancakes. It’s a fantastic alternative to a cheese and pickle sandwich and well worth a try.
- Potato peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
Ingredients for the pancakes
- Sweet potato x 200g
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Oat milk x 300mls (or a milk of your choice)
- Banana x 1 (optional)
Ingredients for the cashew nut cream cheese and pickle
- Cashew nut cream cheese recipe x 1
- Pickle x 8 – 16 tbsp
Method for making the pancakes
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes.
- Pour water into the saucepan and put on a high heat.
- Place the sweet potato cubes into the colander and put it on top of the saucepan to steam them.
- Make sure there is no water touching the bottom of the colander.
- Then steam the potato until it’s soft enough to blend.
- Put a fork in it and if it falls off it’s cooked.
- Meanwhile, blend the gluten free oats.
- Pour these into the mixing bowl along with the baking powder and mix together.
- Once the potato is cooked,l pour into the blender along with the milk and banana (optional).
- Now pour this over the oats and whisk these together.
- Next put a frying pan on a high heat and add oil.
- Scoop enough pancake mix to make a good sized pancake.
- Cook the pancake and then repeat the process until you have made about 12 pancakes.
- Leave them to cool on a rack.
- Finally spread the cream cheese and pickle evenly over 8 pancakes.
- Then stack the cheese and pickle sandwiches three pancakes high leaving the last plain pancake until the top of the stack.
- Now serve and enjoy.
Cheese and Pickle Sweet Potato Sandwich is a definite delicious lunch or tea time treat for me. I have made the banana optional as you may not like the thought of pickle and banana. Although bananas have a very distinctive taste I honestly couldn’t taste them in this dish. The banana also helps to hold the pancake together. All the ingredients in the pancakes are freezable. So if your family are like mine and don’t want to eat these yummy sandwiches, the rest of the pancakes will be OK in the freezer for up to six weeks. However you decide to eat these pancakes, as always, enjoy.
What is your favourite sandwich filling? Let me know in the comments below and please do forget to like and follow me? Thank you. xxx