On a cold winter night I love nothing more than a slow cooker meal. Stews are fantastic cooked in the slow cooker and this one is no exception. If you are looking for a healthy filling meal this is it. It’s a meal that’s packed full of protein and fibre.
Everybody is suddenly talking about protein and it seems to be ‘on trend’ right now. Let’s push the trendy part aside and start looking at why protein is so important. Protein helps every cell in the body and it can help to repair the muscles. It also helps to build muscle and it’s an important building block for the body.
During the winter months, eating a little more protein can help curb the carbohydrate cravings. Some studies assume we eat 200 more calories a day during winter and scientists suggest supplementing that extra calorie intake with protein. So this stew is a great way to do just that and it’s delicious too.
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping board
- Slow Cooker
- Onion x 1
- Butternut squash x 1
- Carrots x 2
- Courgettes x 2
- Red pepper x 1
- Butter beans x 1 400g tin
- Cannellini beans x 1 400g tin
- Black beans x 1 400g tin
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Chicken or vegetable stock x 300g
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Kale x 4 large handfuls
- Start by peeling the butternut squash.
- Cut the top and the bottom of the squash and then cut lengthways.
- Remove the seeds and cut the squash into chunks.
- Peel the carrots and courgettes and then slice.
- Now peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Cut the top from the pepper and remove the seeds.
- Slice the pepper and then cut the slices into pieces.
- Next peel the onion and slice.
- Drain the beans in the colander and wash under the tap to remove any excess water that was in the tins.
- Put all these ingredients into the slow cooker along with the tomatoes, stock and dried mixed herbs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the slow cooker on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the cooking time is over add the kale.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooked Three Bean and Kale Stew is a brilliant one pot dinner. All the ingredients go into the slow cooker and the only thing you have to remember to do at the end is put the kale in. For me, it feel like the fairies have made dinner when I make a meal like this one. Plus you can make extra and freeze it for another quick mid week meal. However you decide to eat this dinner, as always, enjoy.
What’s your favourite quick meal during the week? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx