Whenever we have a crumble, we normally eat it with coconut cream and maple syrup. Occasionally I will make my homemade custard. With all the stress in recent weeks I have been craving a lot more chocolate than I normally would do.
Chocolate can actually help the body with stress. Before I gave up processed foods and sugar I probably would have eaten a whole bar of chocolate when stressed. Nowadays I try to eat non-processed chocolate and less of it. It’s why I always use raw cacao powder when I’m cooking. Raw cacao powder is much better for the body and it doesn’t contain any chemical nasties or sugars.
Plus, as it’s raw it will still contain a lot of the nutrients. We buy it in bulk from our local Costco but you can also buy it on Amazon. When I served this to my family they were really grateful and thoroughly enjoyed the dessert. All the plates were cleaned and quickly. So it’s well worth a try.
Do you love custard like us and if so, what do you love it with? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me 🙂
- Vegetable peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Mixing bowl
- Large spoon
- Baking dish
Ingredients for the base
- Eating Apples x 8 – 10
- Coconut or brown sugar x 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice x 1
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Water x 50mls
Ingredients for the base
- Ground flax, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds and goji berries x 100g
- Gluten free oats x 100g
- Coconut or brown sugar x 50g
- Ghee or unsalted butter x 100g
- Start by peeling the apples and removing the cores.
- Put the apple pieces into the saucepan.
- Add in the coconut sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and water.
- Turn the hob onto high and bring to the boil.
- When it starts to boil, turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Cook until the apple pieces are soft and tender.
For the topping
- Cut the butter into cubes and place into a bowl with the other ingredients.
- Rub the butter and the dry ingredients together between your fingers.
- Keep rubbing until the ingredients resemble breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4
- Once the apples are cooked, turn off the saucepan.
- Remove the apples with the large spoon and put them into the baking dish.
- Pour over the topping as evenly as possible.
- Once the oven is preheated, put the crumble into the oven for about 15 – 20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
For the Chocolate Custard
- Measuring jug
- Stirring spoon
- Nutribullet or blender
- Small bowl
- Serving jug
- Whole milk or coconut milk x 500mls
- Egg yolks x 4
- Brown rice or cornflour x 2 tbsp
- Coconut sugar or brown sugar x 4 tbsps
- Raw cacao powder or cocoa powder x 4 tbsp
- Put 4 tablespoons of sugar into the food processor or nutribullet and blend.
- When it resembles fine ground sugar, set aside.
- Start by heating the milk on a medium heat on the hob.
- Add the vanilla powder and stir the milk continuously until it’s hot but not boiling.
- Once hot, remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, separate the eggs, leaving the yolks in the bowl.
- Now add the sugar, raw cacao powder and brown rice or cornflour to the egg yolks.
- Mix all these ingredients together and pour into the hot milk.
- Stir the milk and the egg mix together.
- Put the pan back onto a low heat and again stir continuously.
- The custard should start to thicken as you stir but it may take a while for this to happen.
- Tip: Be patient.
- Then if it’s not thickening add another tablespoon of flour and gently stir again.
- Keep adding until it starts to thicken.
- Once it thickens to a consistency of your liking, remove from the heat.
- Pour over the apple crumble.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Apple Crumble and Chocolate Custard was a delicious dessert. We all really enjoyed this pudding and we will definitely be making it again. It was soo tasty. You can freeze the crumble but as the custard has fresh egg in it I would freeze it. So you could make the crumble and store it in the deep freeze. Then all you have to do is make the custard once it’s defrosted. It’s all very easy to do and it’s so yummy. However you decide to eat this dessert, as always, please enjoy.