After my Dad passed away, my dear old mum decided to have a de-clutter of the kitchen in our family home. Dad loved a poached egg or two in the morning and had a special pan to cook the eggs in. The pan has special compartments to cook the eggs in over boiling water. My mum likes eggs but decided she could live without this pan. So we inherited it and it’s something we use a lot nowadays.
We also love eggs but we tend to have them for breakfast more than dinner. In recent months I’ve been meaning to change this habit and for us to eat more eggs in the evening. I did make a Posh Egg and Chips a few years ago and I thought about making this for dinner. However, I also fancied spicy food too so I decided to put the two together. I came up with this delicious combination for our dinner.
Do you love Egg and Chips and if so, what do you enjoy eating this dish with? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe to my channel. See you all soon.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Potato peeler
- Baking Tray
- Plastic brush
- Eggs x 4
- Tinned Tomatoes x 2
- Onion x 1
- Garlic granules x 1 tsp
- Sumac x 1 tsp
- Mild chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon or cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Coriander x 1 handful
- Spinach x 1 bag 200g
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive oil
Ingredients for chips
- Potatoes x 2 large baking potatoes (or Pots of your choice)
- Garlic x 4 cloves
- Olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put the baking tray in to heat.
- Start by peeling your potatoes and cutting them into chip shapes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and add the chips in.
- Drizzle the chips with olive oil and add in the garlic cloves.
- Toss all the ingredients together until the chips are coated in the olive oil.
- Put in the oven for around thirty minutes.
- Next slice the onion and chop up the coriander.
- Put the frying pan on a medium to high heat and drizzle olive oil on the base.
- Spread the oil evenly over the base of the pan using the plastic brush.
- Once the pan is hot, add the onions in and fry until translucent.
- It should take around five minutes.
- Now add in the tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil and leave to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After five minutes add in the coriander and spinach.
- Keep stirring while the spinach wilts down.
- Now make four wells/holes in the tomato sauce.
- Crack an egg into each hole.
- Then place in the oven above the chips if possible.
- Cook for the last 5 – 10 minutes of the chips cooking.
- Once the eggs have cooked, remove from the oven along with the chips.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Spicy ‘Posh’ Eggs and Chips was a big hit with my husband and I. My son Ted who is six isn’t a fan of runny eggs. So I made him scrambled egg and chips. Which he really liked. While we enjoyed our spicy eggs and chips. Egg and Chips is, I’d like to think, a classic meal in the UK. It’s a dinner I always remember my Nan cooking. Now I’ve made it posher I think it’s even better than the original. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you! xxx