Chinese is one of our favourite meals to cook as it is quick and easy. For me, it means I don’t have to spend hours slaving over a hot stove which I don’t have much time to do during the week with a small boy around. As a mum I need meals to be on the table in minutes and cooking a Chinese is one of those dinners.
Teriyaki is a meal that is known throughout the world and many people on the planet will have eaten it at one point in their lives. I think of this style of meal as Chinese but actually Teriyaki originated in Japan. It is a Japanese cooking technique and foods are grilled or broiled in a soy and sugar sauce. There are many different types of fish and meat that can be cooked in this style.
For our meal I chose salmon and I grilled the fish. I then added the fish to the teriyaki sauce and the vegetables. So I know it’s probably not the way it’s done in Japan nor China but it was yummy. My son Ted and husband Howard, thoroughly enjoyed this meal. There were clean plates the night this was served. Below is the video and recipe for you.
Do you eat Japanese or Chinese and if so which do one are your favourites? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx
- Wooden spoon
- Baking tray
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Measuring jug
- Wok or large saucepan
- Small sauce pan
Ingredients for the Teriyaki sauce
- Filtered water x 200mls
- Coconut sugar x 5 tbsp
- Soy sauce x 50mls
- Honey x 1 – 2 tbsp
- Power garlic x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Corn flour or chickpea flour x 2 tbsp
Ingredients for the stir fry
- Salmon fillets x 500g
- Spring onions x 1 bunch
- Yellow pepper x 1
- Carrots x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Pak Choi x 2 bulbs
Method for the Teriyaki Sauce
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan.
- Put the saucepan on a medium to high heat and stir while the sauce cooks.
- Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Method for the stir fry
- Put the salmon fillets on a baking tray and put under a grill.
- Remove the tails from the spring onions and slice.
- Peel and slice the carrots and courgettes.
- Chop the top of the pepper and remove the core.
- Then slice the pepper in half and slice the pepper halves into thin strips.
- Now remove the bottom of the pak choi and slice.
- Add oil to the bottom of the pan or work.
- When the pan is hot, fry the spring onions until they start to soften.
- Then add the carrots and courgette and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally add in the pak choi and the teriyaki sauce.
- Bring to the boil and then turn the heat to low and leave to simmer.
- Check the salmon is cooked and remove from the grill.
- The salmon should pull apart easily when it’s cooked.
- Leave the salmon to cool for a few minutes.
- Pull the salmon apart and put into the saucepan or wok.
- Cook the rice or noodles and finally serve and enjoy.
Teriyaki Salmon Stir Fry was a fast, simple and easy recipe. It took no time to prepare and cook. We ate our meal with brown rice but you could eat it with noodles or even quinoa. We have also been known to eat left over Chinese with brown rice pasta as it cooks quickly. As with most of my meals you can make double of this dinner and freeze it for a quick meal. That’s like takeaway night in our house. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, enjoy.