When I was a kid my Nan used to like to bake homemade cakes. Nan didn’t really enjoy cooking, she preferred to be in her garden but what Nan did cook was always yummy. So you are probably wondering why Nanny’s Horrible Cakes? I have explained this in a previous post but for those of you that haven’t read it or can’t remember, here goes. . .
My Nan came round to visit our house one day and I think, she brought her homemade cakes with her. Dad loved to try other people cooking and he didn’t refuse cake. When he tasted it he thought they were delicious so asked my Nan what she put in the cakes. I don’t think my Nan could remember so told him I just put anything in.
My Dad, being a very sarcastic man, imagined my Nan sweeping the floor and putting that into the mixing bowl. Then came the name Nanny’s Horrible Cakes and that was what they were known as ever since. My whole family really enjoyed them and we all thought they were delicious. I decided to make a few changes to the original recipe and add a couple of ingredients. It worked well so I decided to share this recipe with you.
- Large mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- Sharp knife
- Measuring jug
- Small Bowl
- Spelt Flour x 225g
- Baking powder x 2 tsp
- Coconut sugar x 50g
- Vegan butter, ghee or unsalted butter x 125g
- Ripe Bananas x 2
- Carrot x 1
- Chocolate Chips x 100g
- Oat milk x 40mls or a milk of your choice
- Vanilla extract x 1 tsp
- Egg x 2 (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Grease a baking tray with a small amount of the butter.
- Then line with a sheet of baking paper.
- Now grease the top part of the grease proof paper and set aside.
- Weigh and measure the ingredients.
- Next add the flour and baking powder into the large mixing bowl.
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes and put in the large mixing bowl too.
- Put in the coconut sugar and whisk these ingredients together.
- Grate the carrot and add this too.
- Break up the banana and add it to the bowl as well..
- Whisk all of these ingredients together.
- If using an egg crack it into the bowl now.
- Whisk in with all the other ingredients.
- Now mix these ingredients into into the flour mix.
- Add in the milk and mix all the ingredients.
- Once the mixture forms a batter start to divide it into 12 cakes.
- The batter will be slightly drier than a normal cake mixture.
- Finally put the cakes into the oven for around 15 – 20 minutes.
- When they are golden brown remove and leave to cool.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Nanny’s Horrible Cakes with Chocolate Chips worked well and my little family really enjoyed them. I added a couple of mashed bananas to the mixture too and these gave the cakes an extra flavour. These are great cakes to make with children during school holidays. They also make a fantastic snack and they are freezable as well. However you decide to eat this sweet treat, as always, please enjoy.