Last year, just before Christmas my son Ted, husband Howard and I went into London and we found ourselves in a really great burger restaurant for lunch. A lot of the burgers they served were gluten free so this always makes me happy. Plus there were a variety of burgers I could choose from which is an even bigger bonus.
Many of the more commercial restaurants make it look as though they want to help but then you discover you only have one or two choices on the menu. At this particular restaurant I had so much choice, I didn’t know what to eat. After much deliberating I went with a Vegan chickpea burger. It was so good and I was really pleased with my order.
So the other day I was thinking about what we should have for dinner. I thought about my chickpea burgers but then I suddenly remembered the burger I had before that Christmas. Then I thought I would try to replicate it at home. I was so pleased I did and personally I think mine was tastier. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you love veggie burgers and do you buy them from the supermarket or make your own? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Potato peeler
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping Board
- Baking tray
- Food processor
- Frying pan
- Plastic brush
- Sweet potatoes x 800g
- Chickpeas x 2 400g tins
- Cauliflower x 1 small
- Pine nuts x 100g
- Tahini x 2 tbsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground tumeric x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Dried oregano x 1 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Oil for the frying pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 160°C or gas mark 3.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into cubes.
- Put the cubes into the baking tray and place in the oven for about 50 minutes.
- Don’t add any oil to the sweet potatoes as they must be baked dry.
- When the potato has cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Put the saucepan on the hob and fill with water.
- Cut the green leaves from the cauliflower and cut into florets.
- Place the florets into the saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Boil the cauliflower for about 5 minutes or until it falls from a fork.
- Once cooked, remove from the hob and drain through the colander.
- Put the cauliflower into the food processor.
- Next drain the chickpeas through the colander.
- Now place the pine nuts, chickpeas and the sweet potato in the food processor.
- Add in the spices, herbs, tahini and salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend all the ingredients together until they are nearly smooth.
- It doesn’t need to be smooth, there can be lumps.
- Now make the mixture into 4 large or 8 medium burgers.
- Put the frying pan on a high heat and add oil to the base.
- Spread the oil across the base as evenly as possible with the plastic brush.
- When the pan is hot, add the burgers and fry until they become golden brown.
- You may need to do this in batches.
- Once you have fried the burgers serve with salad and enjoy.
Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Spicy Burgers did take a little while to prepare. It’s one of those meals that has several parts. So you could cook the sweet potato the day before and make the burgers on the day you want to eat them. Plus all the ingredients are freezable so you could make the burgers and put them in the freezer until you want to eat them. However you decide to eat these yummy burgers, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx