Breakfast on Christmas morning is in many ways more important than lunch. For me, starting the day with a delicious breakfast makes my Christmas. Oh and unwrapping presents from Father Christmas also helps start the day the right way.
For the past few years, we’ve been treating ourselves to smoked salmon and eggs. Last year, I decided to try this combination with my sweet potato pancakes and it was so yummy. I have a gluten intolerance so sweet potato pancakes are a brilliant bread alternative. They are very tasty with smoked salmon and eggs too. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What’s your favourite Christmas breakfast? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Large bowls x 3
- Small saucepan
- Metal spoon
- Nutribullet or blender
- Frying pan
- Ice cream scoop or a small ladle
- Fish slice
- Plastic brush
- Baking tray
- Egg poacher
Ingredients for the sweet potato pancakes
- Sweet potato x 200g
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Almond Milk x 200ml
- Almond Butter x 4 tbsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut oil x enough to cook the pancakes in
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- Place the small saucepan on the hob and add boiling water to it.
- Then place the colander on top and put the sweet potato pieces in it.
- Leave on the hob with the water simmering below for 15 -20 minutes.
- Blend the oats in the nutribullet or blender until they resemble flour.
- Meanwhile, mix the oat flour, baking powder and cinnamon together.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- When it’s cool, put the sweet potato into the blender or nutribullet.
- Add the milk and the almond butter.
- Blend all of these ingredients together until smooth.
- To make my life less stressful, I make these the night before, ready for the next morning.
- I have bowls with lids on so I can put it straight in the fridge.
- Put the frying pan on the hob on a high heat.
- Place a small amount of coconut oil in the pan and use a plastic brush to cover the base.
- Take your ice cream scoop or ladle and fill it with pancake mixture and place it in the pan.
- Now wait until the pancake starts to cook around the outside.
- Give it a good minute or two minutes before flipping over.
- Hopefully they should be a nice golden brown colour.
- Wait for the other side to cook.
- Once they are cooked serve with the instructions below.
Ingredients for the smoked salmon and eggs
- Smoked Salmon
- Eggs x 2
Method for the smoked salmon and eggs
- Put the egg poacher on the hob and add water.
- Bring the water to the boil and oil the pots for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs into the pots and put into the egg poacher.
- Cook for about 4 minutes or until the white has hardened over the egg.
- Remove from the heat and then put the breakfast together.
- Start by putting the pancakes on the plate.
- Put the smoked salmon on top of the pancakes and then the eggs on top of the salmon.
- Serve and enjoy.
Smoked Salmon, Poached Egg and Sweet Potato Pancake Breakfast is a great way to kick start Christmas Day. It’s simple and easy to do. Plus, it’s full of flavour and makes a lovely light breakfast. The pancakes can be made in batches and frozen to make this breakfast even easier. All the ingredients in the batter can be frozen too. Therefore the pancake mix could be made in advance of the breakfast. It’s also vegan friendly too. However you decide to eat this breakfast, as always, enjoy!
Thank you. xxx