The other day I was writing my weekly shopping list. I went to the fridge to see what I had left. Suddenly I noticed a few small tomatoes and an aubergine. I must have been meaning to use these in a recipe. As I’m not one for waste I thought about how I could use these vegetables in my cooking. I decided to try these two with other similar mediterranean vegetables in a pesto.
Aubergines are a great source of dietary fibre and they are high in vitamins B1 and B6. As well as this, aubergines are also high in minerals and antioxidants. Overall they are a very healthy vegetable. Aubergines also have a very meaty flavour which makes them a great alternative to meat in a meal. I think this is why I buy so many.
During the week we will often eat vegan or vegetarian meals. I quite often enjoy making meals with aubergine as this meat substitute. I threw it together with the tomatoes and a variety of other vegetables and the results were amazing. It was one meaty meal we will definitely eat again.
What’s your favourite pasta sauce? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Baking tray
- Blender or Food processor
- Onion x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Aubergine x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Tomatoes x 1
- Garlic x 2 – 4 cloves
- Pine nuts x 150g
- Rocket x 2 – 4 large handfuls
- Olive oil x 4 – 6 tbsps plus extra for the oven
- Salt to your taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Peel the onion and cut it into quarters.
- Cut the top from the red pepper and remove the seeds and stalk.
- Slice the pepper into chunky 1 inch pieces.
- Now peel the aubergine and courgette and cut into chunky 2 centimetre pieces.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and slice it.
- Put all of these chopped vegetables and the small tomatoes into the baking tray.
- Drizzle over enough oil to cover the vegetables and sprinkle over salt to your taste.
- Then toss the veg in the oil.
- Put the tray into the oven for about 30 – 40 minutes or until the vegetables are golden brown.
- Once they are a golden brown colour, remove and leave to cool.
- When the vegetables are cool enough to touch, place them into your food processor or blender.
- Add in the pine nuts, rocket and olive oil.
- Put the lid on and pulse these ingredients together.
- Pulse until slightly smooth and set aside.
- Boil the pasta as per the packet instructions and when it’s cooked drain through a colander.
- Set the colander aside and use the same pan to heat up the sauce.
- Then add the pasta in.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Roasted Med Veg Pesto and Pasta was a big hit in our house. It made a delicious change from my pesto recipe which was good. My husband Howard and son Ted had to eat this with a little bit of cheese on. I ate my bowl without the cheese and I think it tastes just as yummy. The bonus is that the sauce could be made in advance of a meal and frozen. Then you have yourself a very quick meal during the week. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy.
[…] Roasted Med Veg Pesto and Pasta […]