At Christmas last year I brought a big piece of beef as we were expecting to have one more person with us for meals. My mum normally joins us for Christmas Day but this year due to the restriction in our area she was unable too. Therefore we were left with a lot of roast beef. I had already decided that with the leftovers I would make a couple of meals.
The beef was very chewy. I brought it online from an organic farm shop so I don’t know why it was so tough. I put the leftovers in the freezer until we were ready to use them. Before I started to cook with the beef I decided to see if I could make the beef softer and more palatable. I took a look online and it suggested cooking the beef in a slow cooker or on a low heat in the oven. There is no need to tell me twice to use my slow cooker. I’m so pleased I did as this dinner was delicious and we all really enjoyed it.
Have you got any tips for softening beef? If so, I’d love to hear them. Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Slow Cooker
- Beef stewing steak or leftover roast beef x 500g
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2
- Courgettes x 2 (or mushrooms) x 250g
- Tamari or soy sauce x 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves x 2
- Cashew Nut Cream Cheese x 100g
- Bone broth or chicken stock x 500mls
- Dried mixed herbs
- Rice or quinoa x 300g
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the skin from the onions and garlic.
- Slice and dice the onion and next slice the garlic.
- Peel the courgette with the vegetable peeler and slice them.
- If using mushrooms instead slice these now.
- Put all these ingredients in the slow cooker pot.
- Cut the beef stewing steak or the roast beef in cubes of about an inch.
- If using beef stewing steak put into the pot now and if using roast beef put in the fridge for later.
- Pour in the cashew nut cream cheese and the bone broth or chicken stock in the pot.
- Add in the tamari, dried mixed herbs and the bay leaves.
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all of these ingredients together.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and turn on to low for 8 hours and on high for 4 hours.
- Before the end of the cooking process put the rice or quinoa and a vegetable of your choice on to cook.
- If using roast beef add it in about thirty minutes before the end of the cooking process.
- Once the rice and vegetables are cooked, serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Creamy ‘No Cream’ Beef Straganoff was a big hit in our house. My husband Howard and son Ted really enjoyed this meal. Howard commented that he really liked the sauce and Ted like the beef. It’s a great meal to make and freeze, if you haven’t already frozen the beef! If you have already frozen the roast beef then I would suggest eating this fresh. Although if you are using uncooked beef stew steak then you could make a big batch and freeze it for another occasion. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, enjoy. Thank you xxx