Before I gave up processed foods and sugar I would never say no to a certain Fruit and Nut bar. Nowadays, I always tend to say no thanks. Also with everything going on in the world I think I’m in need of more chocolate than normal.
Researchers have discovered that chocolate is actually good for you when living in a stressful situation. Chocolate can help to lower the stress hormones cortisol and catecholamines. So if the human race ever has to go into lockdown again I know I will be heading for the chocolate in my pantry.
Hopefully, if you’re like me and you can’t or don’t really like to eat a ,lot of chocolate, then this will be a great recipe for you. I found making this very therapeutic and very easy to do. It was quite time consuming but the efforts were worth the results. Plus it makes a brilliant gift for friends and family.
What’s your favourite chocolate bar? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and subscribe.
- Large baking tray
- Grease proof paper
- Small saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Loaf tin or small baking tray
- Stirring spoon
- Cashew nuts x 75
- Almonds x 75g
- Pecans x 75g
- Ghee, unsalted butter or vegan butter x 100g
- Coconut cream x 100mls
- Raw cacao powder x 4 tbsp
- Maple syrup x 2 tbsp
- Raisins x 1 handful
- Medjool dates x 6 – 8
- Almonds x 6 – 8
- Soak the cashews, almonds and pecan in water in a bowl for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove from the fridge in the morning.
- When you want to make the chocolate bar preheat the oven to 120°C or mark gas mark 2.
- Place a sheet of grease proof paper onto a baking tray.
- Spread the mixed nuts across the base of the tray and add a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Cook for about 3 – 4 hours or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Put the saucepan onto the hob and turn it onto a medium heat.
- Now put the ghee into the pan and let it melt down but don’t let it cook.
- Next turn the heat down to low.
- Add in the coconut milk, raw cacao powder and maple syrup.
- Stir these ingredients together and remove from the heat.
- Pour these ingredients into the mixing bowl.
- Roughly chop the nuts and add them to the chocolate mixture.
- Remove the stones from the dates and cut into small pieces.
- Cut the apricots into small pieces too.
- Put these into the mixing bowl along with the raisins.
- Mix all of these ingredients together.
- Place another piece of grease proof paper in the loaf tin or small baking tray.
- Pour the chocolate into the tin or tray and put in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, remove the chocolate from the fridge and cut into bars or small chocolates.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Homemade Fruit and Nut Bar was gratefully received by me. I thoroughly enjoyed this chocolate. My husband Howard and son Ted are not a fans of my homemade chocolate so I got to eat this all by myself. Although, just to make sure it wasn’t just me that enjoyed this snack I gave a couple of bars to my mum. I wasn’t the only one who thought this was tasty. Mum actually asked me of I was making any more soon. All the ingredients can be frozen so if you wanted to make this in advance of a party you can. However you decide to enjoy this snack, as always, please enjoy.