Over the past few months I have been in the kitchen making different versions of a Scotch Egg. All the the versions I have made so far have been with meat. As lovely as they are I decided to try a vegetarian one instead. My husband Howard and son Ted love a shop brought Scotch Egg but I do enjoy making my own. These ones were very well received by my little family so I’m sure we will be eating them again soon.
Do you love a Scotch Egg and if so, what’s your favourite? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Small saucepan
- Vegetable peeler
- Vegetable grater
- Mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- Eggs x 4 medium
- Dried Chickpeas x 200g
- Buckwheat or plain flour x 4 tbsp
- Sundried tomatoes x 6 – 8
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 – 2 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water in the fridge.
- When you want to cook the chickpeas drain them through the colander and rinse.
- Put them into a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them and about 2 inches more.
- Add baking powder to the water and salt.
- Next turn the hob onto high and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling turn the heat down and reduce to a simmer.
- Leave on the hob until the chickpeas are soft.
- Depending on how old they are will depend on how long they take to soften.
- The baking powder will help to soften them a bit faster.
- When I cook chickpeas they do normally take around thirty to forty minutes to soften.
- If you haven’t got the time then you can always use tinned instead.
- Put a small saucepan onto the hob.
- Boil the kettle and pour the boiled water into the pan.
- Turn the heat on the hob and wait for the water to boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil add salt to the water.
- Once the water starts to boil carefully add in the eggs.
- For soft boiled eggs boil for 5 minutes and for hard boiled 8 minutes.
- When the eggs have boiled pour the water away and run under a cold tap.
- Next keep the cold tap running and crack the eggs
- Remove the shell under the cold tap.
- Set the eggs to one side.
- Put the chickpeas into the food processor
- Add in the buckwheat or plain flour, sun dried tomatoes, dried mixed herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend these ingredients together until they form a dough ball.
- Wet your hands under the tap.
- Scrunch these ingredients together in your hands.
- Once everything is mixed together split the mixture into four parts.
- At this point you may need to wet your hands again.
- Grad a piece of the mixture and flatten it in the palm of your hand.
- Put the egg in the middle and then wrap the meat around the boiled egg.
- Set this aside and repeat the process for the other eggs.
- Put all the scotch egg onto a plate and place in the plate in the fridge.
- Cook the scotch eggs for 15 – 20 minutes or until they golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve with chips and beans or salad.
- Then enjoy.
Vegetarian Scotch Eggs were a yummy meal and we will definitely be eating this one again soon. These are great for dinner but they can also be taken with you as a pack lunch. Plus you could make them part of a picnic too. Scotch eggs can also be made in advance of a meal and stored in the fridge until you want to cook them for lunch or dinner. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx