Chickpeas are a big favourite in our house and there are normally no complaints when they are served as burgers. We like to eat these burgers with sweet potato chips and a salad. It’s a filling meal as chickpeas are a highly nutritious bean.
Chickpeas are a nutty bean that are rich in a number of nutrients. The key nutrients that include protein, vitamins and minerals will keep the body well. Chickpeas provide fibre too. Including chickpeas into your diet may play an important role in reducing your risk of a number of illnessess, such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
More fibre in a persons diet is good for keeping regular but there are a number of other health benefits. Fibre in food like chickpeas keeps the body feeling fuller for longer. It could help the waistline because it means eating less in between meals. Chickpeas also contain soluble fibre which help to lower bad cholesterol. Soluble fibre helps to keep you blood sugar levels steady which could benefit people with diabetes.
The burgers are quick, simple and easy to make as always. So if you’re a parent or person with not much time on your hands this is a meal for you. As well as chickpeas, these burgers are loaded with healthy, nutritious foods that will keep the whole family healthy. A gorgeous meal that everyone should try.
- Food processor
- Baking tray
- Chickpeas x 2 tins
- Tahini x 2 tbsp
- Date syrup x 1 tbsp
- Pine nuts x 100g
- Hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground corriander x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground tumeric x 1 tsp
- Coriander x 1 large handful
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or gas mark 4.
- Drain the chickpeas using the colander and place them in the food processor.
- Weigh the pine nuts and add them to the processor.
- Add all the other ingredients and blend together until a smooth consistency forms.
- Remove the blade and take a handful of the mixture to make it into a burger shape.
- Place on the baking tray and repeat the process until you have made four burgers.
- Put the tray into the oven and cook for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- To serve with chips and a salad please see my Sweet Potato and Salad Dressing recipe.
Occasionally we make these smaller and have them as nuggets. The nuggets are also great served as a cold snack. They are also easy to transport as burgers or nuggets and they make a fantastic packed lunch alternative too. My son loves chickpeas and these are a treat for him. However you decide to eat these beauties, as always, please enjoy.