Last week I brought pinenuts and spinach from the shops as I wanted to try a Jamie Oliver recipe. Part of the meal would have been green and Ted is not a great fan of anything green. I was going to make spinach and chickpea pasta and tell Ted it was green worms for dinner. However, I was feeling quite tired and I did not want to have to convince him that it would be delicious. So I decided to make this pinenut pasta instead.
Pinenuts are rich in essential minerals, vitamins and nutrients. These little nuts can help with vision, they can help build strong bones and they can help you to feel full for longer. Thus, pinenuts are great for weight loss. Pinenuts are also an excellent source of protein, iron and magnesium. Which is great news for your circulatory and nervous system but good for boosting the body with energy as well.
Pinenuts are crunchy but have a buttery aftertaste. In this dish they make it slightly sweet but nutty too. I put the spinach in a tomato sauce and added the pine nuts to the dish. We ate it with brown rice pasta which I buy in bulk from Amazon. It was a quick, simple and easy dish to make. Ted enjoyed it once he got past the spinach.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan
- Sauce pan
- Pinenuts x 100g
- Cherry tomatoes x 500g
- Onion x 1 large
- Chicken stock x 100mls
- Spinach x 200g
- Oregano x 200g
- Cream Cheese x 200g
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown Rice Pasta
- Start by peeling and chopping the onion and slicing the tomatoes in half.
- Heat the frying pan to a medium temperature and add the olive oil.
- Once the pan has heated through add the pinenuts and fry until they start to brown, stirring continuously.
- Next add the chopped onion and the sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Fry until the onion is translucent and the tomatoes have softened.
- It should take around 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste to the pan as it will give the tomatoes sweetness.
- At this stage add the oregano as well.
- Then add the chicken stock and leave to simmer on the hob for 5 – 10 mins while you boil the pasta.
- Finally add the spinach to the pan and leave it to wilt down.
- Drain the pasta, if it is cooked.
- Mix in the cream cheese and put the pasta into the pan and stir it round.
- Serve and enjoy.
As I have mentioned earlier, this recipe is a quick and easy meal that the whole family can enjoy. It will be for me a go to meal when I have forgotten to get items out of the freezer for the evening meal. We all enjoyed this dish, even Ted liked it after he got over the spinach part. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy.