Porridge is my all time favourite breakfast and I love making different versions. It’s a quick and easy breakfast to make in the morning. Plus to make it even easier in the morning I have started adding key ingredients the night before. So all I have to do in the morning is pop it into a saucepan, add extra water and cook it.
According to the Green Pharmacy Guide to Healing Foods that I have been reading recently, lavender is loaded with antibacterials and anti-inflammatory’s. Lavender is so easy to take internally. The petals and leaves make a great addition to a lot of different foods.
So after reading this I decided to invest in a plant from the garden centre and try it in a variety of foods. As I always eat porridge, I thought this would be a good place to try it. I was pleasantly surprised and very calm after eating this breakfast. So a good way to start the day.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Gluten free oats x 90g
- Bananas x 2
- Pitted prunes x 8
- Raw cacao powder x 2 tsp
- Maca powder x 1 tsp (optional)
- Lavender x 4 – 6 stalks
- Ground flax seed x 1 tbsp
- Milk x 200 mls (of your choice) plus extra if necessary
- Blueberries x 1 handful
- Honey (optional)
- Peel and roughly break up the bananas.
- Put these into the blender or nutribullet.
- Add in the pitted prunes, raw cacao powder, maca powder (optional) lavender and ground flax seed.
- Pour in the milk and blend these ingredients together.
- Weigh the oats and pour over the blended ingredients.
- Stir these ingredients together and place them in the fridge overnight.
- The next day remove the oat mixture from the fridge and put them into the saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on a high heat and add extra oat milk if necessary.
- Also add in the handful of blueberries.
- Now stir these ingredients together.
- If the mixture starts to stick to the base of the pan, turn the heat down.
- Plus if it gets too thick, then add more milk.
- Keep stirring until the porridge is at a consistency you like and is warm through.
- It should take around 5 – 10 minutes.
- Once it’s cooked pour into 2 bowls and add a teaspoon or two of honey.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Choccy Lavender and Prune Porridge was a great way to start my day. It was a creamy breakfast with the blended oat milk and bananas. However it also had the sweetness of the prunes and the lavender in. As I mentioned earlier, the best way to prepare the porridge oats is in with the blended ingredients the night before. Although, this is optional and you can always do this in the morning too. However you decide to eat this breakfast, as always, please enjoy. xxx
Have you ever tried Lavender in your breakfast before? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you.