When I was little I loved an ice cream treat. As you can see from the photo above I would have eaten ice cream all day long if I was allowed. I think I would get so excited that most of the ice cream would end up round my mouth and not in my tummy.
Nowadays I tend not to eat ice cream from a local shop or stall anymore. Since giving up processed foods and sugars I like to experiment with making my own. There are quite a few ice cream recipes on my blog already but there is not one with dates in.
In the past I have made a lot of recipes using dates. It was Salted Datey Caramel everything during the Christmas period. I thought I had better leave making ice cream until the warmer months. So as the sun is shining here in the UK, I thought I better share this dish with you.
Makes about 500mls
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Nutribullet or blender
- Tupperware box or box with a lid
- Coconut milk x 1 400g tin
- Medjool dates x 8 – 10
- Maple syrup x 2 tbsp
- Salt x 1/2 – 1 tsp
- Maca powder x 2 tsps (optional)
- Remove the stones from the dates and put the flesh into the blender.
- Next add in the coconut milk, maple syrup, salt and maca powder (optional).
- Blend all of the ingredients together.
- Pour the liquid into the tupperware box and put into the freezer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the box from the freezer and put the contents back into the blender and blend for a further few minutes.
- Pour the liquid back into the box and put back into the freezer.
- Repeat this process one or two more times.
- Then leave for at least six hours or preferably overnight.
- Remove from freezer an hour before serving.
- Now scoop the ice cream from the box, serve in a bowl or a cone and then serve and enjoy.
Salted ‘Datey’ Caramel Ice Cream was a huge hit in our house. My son Ted didn’t try it but my husband and my mum really loved it. Although my husband did say that on my next attempt I needed to add a little less salt. So if you love salty sweet dishes then add 1 tsp but if you are not so keen then add a half. Once the ice cream is made it will last in the freezer for up to six weeks. That’s if it lasts that long in your house. However, you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. xxx
What’s your favourite flavour ice cream and you have ever tried to make it? Let me know in the comments below are please don’t forget to like and follow me. xxx