My Dad loved to make his coleslaw. I think it was one of his favourite recipes. It’s simple but so tasty. As a young adult I was not a fan of coleslaw but in recent years it has grown on me. I really enjoy it now and I especially enjoy my dad’s recipe. So I had to share it with you on my channel, Googie’s Kitchen and the blog post is below too.
The best part about the homemade coleslaw was not only the raw vegetables but the homemade mayonnaise. My Dad, after he had made a simple coleslaw a few times, decided to add pine nuts and raisins. When I was living at home I wasn’t a fan, but my tastes have changed over the years and I now enjoy the pine nuts and raisins. The raisins and pine nuts are optional so if you’re not a fan you can leave them from the recipe. I still love raw vegetables and this one is a huge favourite. Well worth a try.
Serves 6 – 8
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Food processor with slicing attachment
- Large mixing or serving bowl
- Red cabbage x 1 small
- Green cabbage x 1 small
- Carrots x 2 large
- Pine nuts x 100g
- Raisins x 100g
- Homemade mayonnaise x 8 -10 tbsp
- If it’s not made already, start by making the homemade mayonnaise.
- Once the mayonnaise is done, set aside and start making the coleslaw.
- With the sharp knife, slice the red cabbage into quarters.
- Next remove the core by slicing at an angle taking the hard end from the cabbage.
- Set up the food processor with the slicing attachment.
- Put the cabbage into the top part of the processor turn it on and slice until all the cabbage has been cut.
- Remove the cabbage from the food processor and put into the large mixing bowl.
- Repeat the process above with the green cabbage.
- Now peel the carrots, cut the tops off and slice these in the food processor.
- Mix all of these ingredients together.
- Add in the pine nuts and raisins and mix again.
- Then add the mayonnaise and give the coleslaw a final mix.
- Serve and enjoy!
Daddy’s Coleslaw is a great companion for lots of meals. When I was living at home we would eat this dish as part of a cold supper on a Friday night. Dad would normally want to make a simple meal on Friday’s so we would normally have cold meats, bread and coleslaw or salad. Although, we would also eat this if we were having a BBQ or I love a cheese and coleslaw sandwich too. However you decide to eat this recipe, as always, enjoy.
What are your favourite salads and what do you enjoy eating with it? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx