Bread is not a food I tend to eat these days. I’m gluten intolerant but to be honest I’m not a fan of gluten free bread either. Although, I’ve started to make my own savoury loaves which I eat in the morning with egg and avocado. I’ve made a variety of flavours but I have never made one with red lentils before.
So I decided to try my quinoa loaf with red lentils and sweet potato. The results were amazing and this was a simple recipe to cook too. I was surprised at the moisture in the loaf and the fact it had loads of flavour. It was delicious with eggs and avocado for breakfast too.
Do you enjoy alternative breads and if so which breads do you like to eat? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Potato peeler
- Chopping board
- Small saucepan
- Metal spoon
- Nutribullet or blender
- Fish slice
- Plastic brush
- Quinoa x 200g
- Red Lentils x 200g
- Flax seed x 80g
- Sweet potato x 200g
- Oat milk x 400 – 600mls
- Almond butter x 2 tbsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Bicarbonate of soda x 2 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar x 1tbsp
- Salt x 1/2 tsp
- Maple syrup x 1 – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Pour oil onto the base of the baking tray and evenly coat the tray with the plastic brush.
- Line the baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Now pour oil on to the paper and evenly coat the paper with a plastic brush.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- Place the small saucepan on the hob and add boiling water to it.
- Then place the colander on top and put the sweet potato pieces in it.
- Leave on the hob with the water simmering below for 15 -20 minutes.
- Put the quinoa, red lentil and flax seed into the nutribullet and blender until a flour forms.
- Now in the large bowl mix the ground cumin, quinoa and red lentil flour, cinnamon, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, add it to the blender along with the milk, almond butter and apple cider vinegar.
- Next pour over the blender ingredients onto the mixing bowl ingredients.
- Mix all of these ingredients together until there is no flour left in the bowl.
- Next pour this into the pre-lined baking tray.
- Put the baking tray into the oven for about 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Slice the loaf and serve with avocado and/or egg.
- Then enjoy.
Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Lentil Loaf made a delicious breakfast bread. For me, it was a lovely alternative to bread. I made it in advance of my breakfasts and froze slices separately. When I needed bread for breakfast I just took a couple of slices from the freezer. I let them defrost overnight and I put the slices under the grill in morning. So I toasted them slightly before adding my toppings. The loaf could also be enjoyed with larger meals like soups, stews and curries. However you decided to eat this dish, as always, enjoy. Thank you xxx