Eating a good breakfast is the best way to kick start my day and porridge is always at the top of my morning menu. I’m always looking for new ways to cook this scrummy breakfast in the morning. When I made this fruit compote I cooked it for a crumble cake (coming soon) and I had a lot of leftovers. So I decided to add it to my porridge for Monday morning.
Normally, I soak the oats over night in milk. On this occasion I still added the milk but I also added the compote too. As I like to add ingredients to my porridge I decided to add in the compote as well and then I left all the ingredients in the fridge until the morning. In the morning I like to add extra liquid and fruit and then cook. It’s was a sweet and tangy breakfast that I just had to share with you.
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping Board
- Large saucepan
- Fine grater
- Stirring spoon
- Stirring spoon
- Small saucepan
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Spoon for eating
Ingredients for the Apple, Ginger and Rhubarb Compot
- Apples x 4
- Rhubarb x 5 large stalks
- Ginger x 2 inch piece
- Coconut sugar x 2
- Water x 100mls
Method for the compot
- Peel the apples, cut into quarters and remove the cores.
- Now cut into halves and put the apple pieces into the large saucepan.
- Cut the rhubarb into 2 centimetre pieces and peel any excess skin.
- Put the chopped rhubarb into the saucepan.
- Next peel the ginger and grate it into the pan.
- Stir all the ingredients together in a pan.
- Add the water and put the pan on a high heat.
- Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer until the fruit is soft.
- It should take about 15 – 20 minutes but if you would like the fruit slightly softer leave for a further 5 minutes or so.
- Set aside and leave to cool.
Ingredients for the porridge
- Gluten free oats x 90g
- Ground flax seed x 2 tbsp (optional)
- Chia seeds x 2 tbsp (optional)
- Maca powder x 1 tsp (optional)
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp (optional)
- Oat milk or a milk of your choice x 150mls
- Apple, ginger and rhubarb compote x 200g (about a third of what you have made)
- Banana x 1
- Fruit of your choice
- Honey to serve
Method for the porridge
- Put the oats, ground flax seed, chia seeds, maca powder and ground sweet cinnamon into the bowl.
- Stir these ingredients together until everything is well mixed.
- Next add in the compot and stir these ingredients together.
- Pour over the oat milk and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, remove the porridge from the fridge.
- Put a small pan on a high heat and add the porridge.
- Add the water to the pan.
- The porridge will probably come out of the bowl in one big lump.
- So break it up with the stirring spoon.
- Cut the banana into slices with the knife.
- Next put this into the porridge along with a fruit of your choice.
- Turn the hob on to a medium heat.
- Stir the mixture continuously until it’s warm all the way through.
- You may need to add more water to the pan if it starts to become too thick for you.
- Once it’s at a consistency you like, remove from the heat and pour back into the bowl.
- Serve with honey or a topping of your choice and enjoy.
Apple, Ginger and Rhubarb Porridge was a big hit with my husband. He loves any food with ginger in and he definitely enjoyed this breakfast. It was a quick and easy dish to cook for the morning. So when we are on the run again we can all make sure we get breakfast. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy.