During the week I need fast, efficient breakfasts I know I can rely on. Porridge is always a good way to start the day and it’s always quick and easy. Occasionally I fancy a change from a big bowl of steaming porridge. I will normally have eggs but even eggs can get slightly tedious.
So that’s when I decided to try sweet potato and porridge. It may seem like a strange combination but believe me, this really work well. I have made sweet potato pancakes on many occasions which we all enjoy. So I thought I would throw it into a baked porridge and I was not disappointed by the results. I made it the day before and then heated it up under the grill the next day. So this was a super speedy and tasty start to my day. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you love porridge and if so, what ingredients do you love to add to your steaming bowl of porridge? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Mixing bowl
- Nutribullet or blender
- Baking tray
- Greaseproof paper
- Porridge oats x 200g
- Ground flax seed x 80g
- Maca powder x 1 tsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Blueberries 2 large handfuls
- Cinnamon x 2 tsp
- Almond butter x 2 tbsp
- Oat milk x 600ml
- Sweet potatoes x 200g
- Maple syrup and honey x 2 – 4 tbsp (optional) plus extra for serving
- Salt x 1/4
- Oil for the baking tray
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Pour oil onto the base of the baking tray and evenly coat the tray with the plastic brush.
- Line the baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Now pour oil on to the paper and evenly coat the paper with a plastic brush
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- Place the small saucepan on the hob and add boiling water to it.
- Then place the colander on top and put the sweet potato pieces in it.
- Leave on the hob with the water simmering below for 15 -20 minutes.
- When the sweet potato is cooked, add it to the blender along with the milk, almond butter and maple syrup or honey (optional).
- Set this mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the porridge oats, ground flax seed, maca powder, salt, cinnamon and blueberries.
- Mix all these ingredients together.
- Pour over the blender mixture and mix all the ingredients together.
- Next pour this into the pre-lined baking tray.
- Put the baking tray into the oven for about 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled cut into four pieces and serve with honey.
Baked Sweet Potato Porridge was so yummy. I made it on a Sunday afternoon and ate it for breakfast on Monday. It made my Monday morning so easy. All the ingredients in this dish are freezable so the leftovers I froze for another occasion. Plus this is a great breakfast to take to work too. However you decide to eat this scrummy breakfast, as always, enjoy.
Thank you xxx