Many people this year will be eating turkey sandwiches on Christmas night. Sadly I can no longer eat bread, as I’m gluten intolerant and I’m not really a fan of the gluten free breads. Therefore I’m always looking for alternatives to bread. In recent months, I have found my sweet potato pancakes a great alternative.
So I decided to make a sweet potato pancake sandwich with leftover turkey from lunch and my homemade pickle. From what I can remember of bread, I actually preferred this to a normal sandwich. The pancakes were sweet and soft. They also complimented the turkey and pickle very well. It’s a tasty sandwich alternative at Christmas. Below is a video and recipe for you.
Do you eat turkey sandwiches on Christmas night and would you replace the bread with a sweet potato pancake or two? Let me know this comments and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe.
- Large bowls x 3
- Small saucepan
- Metal spoon
- Nutribullet or blender
- Frying pan
- Plastic brush
- Ice cream scoop or a small ladle
- Fish slice
Ingredients for the sweet potato pancakes
- Sweet potato x 200g
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Baking powder x 1 tsp
- Almond Milk x 400ml
- Almond Butter x 4 tbsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut oil x enough to cook the pancakes in
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes and cut into 2 cm pieces.
- Place the small saucepan on the hob and add boiling water to it.
- Then place the colander on top and put the sweet potato pieces in it.
- Leave on the hob with the water simmering below for 15 -20 minutes.
- Blend the oats in the nutribullet or blender until they resemble flour.
- Meanwhile, mix the oat flour, baking powder and cinnamon together.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- When it’s cool put the sweet potato into the blender or nutribullet.
- Add the milk and the almond butter.
- Blend all of these ingredients together until smooth.
- To make my life less stressful I make these the night before ready for the next morning.
- I have bowls with lids on so I can put it straight in the fridge.
- Put the frying pan on the hob on a high heat.
- Place a small amount of coconut oil in the pan and use a plastic brush to cover the base.
- Take your ice cream scoop or ladle and fill it with pancake mixture and place it in the pan.
- Now wait until the pancake starts to cook around the outside.
- Give it a good minute or two before flipping over.
- Hopefully they should be a nice golden brown colour.
- Wait for the other side to cook.
- Once they are cooked serve with the instructions below.
Ingredients for the leftover turkey and pickle
- Leftover turkey x 125g
- Homemade pickle x 1 – 2 tbsps
Method for the leftover turkey and pickle
- Start by putting the pancakes on the plate.
- Put the leftover turkey on top of the pancakes and then spoon the pickle on top of the turkey.
- Place another pancake on top.
- Serve and enjoy.
Turkey, Pickle and Sweet Potato Pancakes Sandwich made a great evening tea for me. I thoroughly enjoyed every last bite of this sandwich. My sweet potato pancakes are a delicious alternative to bread. Plus all the ingredients in these pancakes are freezable. So the pancakes can be made and frozen. Plus, the mixture can be made in advance and frozen too. However you decide to eat these sandwiches, as always, enjoy.
Thank you. xxx