My husband Howard and son Ted are big fans of a scotch egg. They normally buy one of two from the supermarket and they are also just a treat food in this house. As they love them so much, last year I decided to see if I could make them as a dinner. A treat meal of course, so I set to work.
The result were amazing but we haven’t had this meal since. So I thought I would make it again. This time I decided to spice up the scotch eggs. That’s right I added a few spices and herbs to the pork mince. The result were great again and as Easter is fast approaching I thought this would be a good recipe to share at this time.
What’s your favourite egg recipe? Let me know in the comment below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Small saucepan
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Eggs x 4
- Salt x 1 pinch
- Cold Water x 1 large bowl
- Gluten free sausage meat x 600g
- Flax seed x 150g
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Oregano x 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and put a baking tray in.
- Put a small saucepan of water on a high heat.
- Bring to the boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Using the spoon, carefully place the eggs into the boiling water.
- Boil for exactly 5 minutes.
- While the eggs are boiling, prepare the large bowl with the cold water.
- Once the eggs have boiled, remove from the heat.
- Pour the hot water away and with the spoon transfer to the bowl of cold water.
- Leave in the cold water for a minute.
- Now take the eggs out of the water and remove the shell.
- Set the eggs aside once all the shells are removed.
- Pour the flax seed into the small bowl.
- Add the mild or hot chilli powder, smoked paprika, ground ginger, ground sweet cinnamon and dried oregano.
- Mix these ingredients together.
- Flatten the sausages using your hands.
- Put an egg in the middle of one sausage and wrap the it around the outside.
- Cover the top of the egg with the other sausage.
- Roll the egg and sausage ball in the flax seed and set aside
- Repeat this process for the other three.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and put the scotch eggs in.
- Place the tray in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or as per the packet instructions on the sausages.
- When golden brown and crispy, remove the scotch eggs from the oven.
- The serve and enjoy.
Spicy Gluten Free Scotch Eggs were very well received by Howard but Ted was not the biggest fan. He really enjoyed this meal the first time but I had made those scotch eggs with sausages removed from the skins. For this recipe I used sausage meat and Ted isn’t keen on sausage meat. I think he much prefers his sausages whole. Howard, on the other hand, really enjoyed this dinner. It’s a great meal to cook for the family but it could also be taken with you on a picnic as well. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx