Savoury porridge I can honestly say is not something I have ever tried. The other day I was wondering what to have with my egg breakfast in the morning. Nowadays, due to a gluten allergy, I don’t eat bread and I’m not a fan of gluten free bread either. It’s not the taste but, I think, it’s the possibility that when they produce gluten free bread they was out the gluten from the wheat with bleach. Yuk, personally I would rather eat cardboard.
Therefore I’m always looking for healthy alternative to toast with my eggs. I have a made a lot of different alternatives, including quinoa breads and pancakes but I had never tried porridge. Recently I went online and I discovered a number of savoury porridge recipes. I decided to try my own version. I love to eat spinach, tomatoes and onion with my eggs. So I decided to add these to a porridge. The results were so good I had to share this recipe with you.
Have you eaten savoury porridge? If so what kind do you eat? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe.
- Egg poacher
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Eggs x 2
- Gluten or gluten free porridge oats x 45g
- Bone broth or a milk of your choice x 200mls
- Water x to break up the porridge the next day
- Ground flaxseed x 1 tbsps
- Pumpkin seeds x 1 tbsps
- Chia seeds x 1 tbsp
- Spring onions x 4
- Tomatoes x 2 medium
- Avocado x 1/2
- Spinach or kale x 1 handful
- The night before weight the porridge into the bowl.
- Add in the ground flaxseed, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds.
- Mix these ingredients together and pour over the bone broth or a milk or your choice.
- Leave in the fridge overnight.
- The next day remove the oats from the fridge and place them in the saucepan.
- Add water to break up the porridge and other ingredients.
- Now turn on the heat to high and stir all these ingredients together.
- Keep stirring until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Depending on how thick you like the porridge you may want to add a little more water.
- Once the porridge is at a consistency you like remove it from the heat and set aside.
- Next cut the tops and tails from the spring onions and slice into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Slice the tomato in half and then slice and dice each half.
- Put the frying pan onto a high heat and add the oil.
- Once the pan is hot add in the spring onions and fry until they are soft.
- Next add in the tomato and fry again for a further few minutes.
- Finally add in the spinach and fry until it wilts.
- If at any point the ingredients start to stick to the pan add a little bit of water and turn the heat down to a medium heat.
- Add these ingredients to the porridge pan and stir together.
- Set the porridge aside.
- Now cooked the pouched eggs or you can fry them as well.
- Pour the porridge into a serving bowl and add the eggs on top.
- Slice the avocado in half and slice the half of the avocado.
- Now serve and enjoy.
Pouched Egg, Tomato, Spinach and Porridge was delicious. To be honest, I made this breakfast for myself and I loved it. It was a little bit more complicated than just cooking porridge but the efforts were worth the results. My husband Howard and son Ted normally eat their eggs with toast. I knew they would not be upset not to eat this savoury porridge. Personally I think they did miss out but then again they are creatures of habit. I really enjoyed this warming breakfast and I think it’s perfect for a cold winter’s morning. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx