Soup and crab aren’t two ingredients I would have put together. During the summer we went on holiday to Wells-Next-the-Sea in Norfolk. There was a fish restaurant that sold crab and lobster that I wanted to try. Sadly though they were fully booked until August. We wanted to go at the end of June. Oh well, maybe next time.
On the restaurants menu, they sold crab and I really wanted to try it. Thankfully I’m not one to give up easily so I decided to research this soup. I found several recipes online. Most used brandy to cook the soup with. I decided to leave out the alcohol and focus on the vegetables that went into the soup. It was a very tasty soup that is perfect for a cold winters day. We loved this dish and we hope you do too.
Do you love seafood when you go to the seaside and if so what’s your favourite sea delicacy? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Crab x 2 110g tins
- Onion x 1
- Fennel bulb x 1 large
- Orange juice x juice and zest
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsps
- Chicken stock x 800mls
- Oat milk or a milk of your choice x 200mls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for the pan
- Cut the bottom from the fennel bulb and any straggly ends.
- Then slice and dice the fennel into small pieces.
- Remove the top and the bottom from the onion.
- Slice and dice the onion into small pieces as well.
- Put the large saucepan onto a high heat and add the oil the the base of the pan.
- When the pan is hot add in the fennel and onion.
- Fry these vegetables until they start to soften.
- It will take a good 5 – 10 minutes for everything to soften.
- If the ingredients start to stick to the pan pour a little water onto the base of the pan and turn the heat down.
- Next add in the juice and zest of the orange and the tomato puree.
- Fry these ingredients for a further few minutes.
- Next add in the chicken stock and oat milk.
- Bring these ingredients to the boil and then leave to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once everything has cooked together remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Next pour these ingredients into the blender hence why I suggested a jug.
- Pour half the ingredients into the blender and add in one tin of crab meat.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Now pour the smooth soup into the jug.
- Pour the rest of the ingredients into the blender and add the second tin of crab.
- Again blend until smooth.
- Next pour the jug and blender soup into the saucepan and heat through until it’s at a temperature you enjoy.
- Then serve with bread, cheesy toast or my chickpea flour wraps and enjoy.
Crab Bisque is a delicious soup that is tasty and it will easily serve a family. All the ingredients are freezable. You could make a big batch of this soup and freeze it for another occasion. My husband Howard and I really enjoyed this dish. Howard actually said during the meal how much he was enjoying it. My son Ted wasn’t as big a fan but he did say it was ok. I thought it was yummy and it’s definitely one I will be eat again. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx