Fennel is my new favourite obsession. I really love this strange looking veggie. The other day I read a very interesting article about the health benefits of fennel. The most interesting fact I discovered is estrogen occurs naturally in fennel. Estrogen plays a central role in regulating the female reproductive organs. It can also determine a women’s fertility. Since then I have been using it in lots of my recipes but this one I have found to be the tastiest. (Not that I’m trying to get pregnant).
A lot of people choose fennel for it’s liquorice like flavour. When I teamed it with the sweet ripe tomatoes it work so well. The liquorice flavour of the fennel and the sweetness in the tomatoes are a taste explosion in the mouth. Plus the cannellini beans make the soup very thick and creamy too. It’s definitely a cold winter’s day soup that will help to heat you up from the inside out. We enjoyed this dish and we hope you do too. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What interesting facts have you learned about vegetables? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Baking tray
- Onion x 1
- Large tomatoes on the vine x 4 – 6
- Fennel x 1 bulb
- Cannellini beans x 300g
- Milk of your choice x 1 litre
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the beans as the per the packet instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Cut the fennel into large pieces and put into the baking tray.
- Peel and slice the onion and put it into the baking tray too.
- Add in the tomatoes as well.
- Drizzle oil over the vegetables, sprinkle over the salt and toss these ingredients together.
- Put these ingredients into the oven.
- Bake for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are golden brown and the tomatoes have split remove the vegetables from the oven.
- Leave these vegetables to cool until the are touchable.
- When everything has cooled pour half the milk into the blender.
- Then add half of the milk and the cannellini beans.
- Now blend all of the ingredients together.
- Once everything is smooth pour this half of the soup into a saucepan.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the through until it’s a temperature that’s edible.
- Finally serve and enjoy with chunky bread or cheesy toast.
Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel Soup was a big hit in our house. My husband Howard and son Ted really enjoyed this soup. I served their soup with cheesy bread and I ate my chickpea flour wraps. The great part about this dish is that all the ingredients are freezable. That means you can make a big batch and freeze it for another occasion. However you decide to eat/drink this soup, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx