My husband Howard and son Ted love a BBQ. To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of grill meats on a hot fire. Unfortunately they don’t tend to settle in my stomach to well. Nowadays I much prefer to have oven baked foods. I get the impression Howard and Ted are a bit disappointed when I say no to a BBQ. Especially when the weather is warm outside.
Now that winter is on it’s way I began to realise that we hadn’t had a lot of BBQs this year. For once it wasn’t me saying no, the weather hasn’t been brilliant in the UK. Therefore the BBQ tends to stay under the cover and tends not make an appearance in the rain. All those missed opportunities got me thinking that we can bring summer indoors in winter. Instead of BBQ pork I have invented slow cooker BBQ pork for the winter. If you have missed the BBQ this year then it’s not to late. Every bite of this meal is summer and it’s perfect for a cold winters day. We loved it and we hope you do too.
What are your favourite BBQ meals? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Mixing bowl
- Stirring spoon
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Chopped pork x 500g
- Tamari x 4 tbsp
- Coconut or brown sugar x 4 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar x 2 tbsp
- Tomato puree x 2 tbsps
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Cayenne pepper x 1/2 tsp
- Mild, medium or hot chilli powder
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Tomatoes x 1 tin
- Chicken stock or bone broth x 400mls
- Onion x 1
- Grated courgette x 1
- Grated carrot x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Spinach x 2 handfuls
- Rice x 300g
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by chopping the pork if not chopped already.
- Add in to the mixing bowl along with the tamari, coconut or brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, tomato puree, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, mild, medium or chilli powder and ground sweet cinnamon.
- Mix these ingredients into the pork and put in the fridge for at least a couple of hours or preferably over night.
- Now peel and slice the onion and put it into the slow cooker pot.
- Peel and grate the courgette and carrot.
- Slice the top from the red pepper and remove the core and the stalk.
- Then slice the flesh and put these ingredients into the slow cooker pot.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stock.
- Finally add in the marinaded meat and turn the cooker on to high for four hours or low for eight hours.
- Thirty to forty minutes before the end of the cooking process start to cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Sprinkle over salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Ten minutes before the end of the cooking time taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Then add in the spinach and let it wilt down.
- Now serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooked BBQ Pork and Rice was a bit hit in our house. Howard, Ted and I all enjoyed this meal. Usually no one talks when the tasty and this is a big sign that everyone is enjoying there dinner. Plus all the plates were clean by the end of this dinner. It’s another big sign. The best part about this dish is you can make double of this meal and then freeze the leftovers for a quick dinner on another occasion. All the ingredients are freezable. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you. xxx