My little family and I love a soup night. My husband Howard and son Ted will normally eat or drink there soup with cheesy bread and I love chickpea flour wraps. We normally eat soup all year round as it makes a very easy meal for me to cook. It’s a good idea however to eat soup in winter.
The ingredients in soup can help to boost the immune system. For example I like to use bone broth or chicken stock to cook my soups in and this can be extremely beneficial to the body. Vegetables like butternut squash and carrots can also benefit the body immune defences. They are a great way to protect against viruses and can combat harmful bacteria. Soup is good and we all need to eat more. We loved this one and we hope you do too.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Bacon x 500g
- Leek x 1
- Butternut squash x 1 small
- Carrots x 2
- Chicken or vegetable stock x 1.5
- Dried cannellini or butter beans x 300g or 2 400g tins
- Oregano x 1tsp
- Dried herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the dried cannellini or butter beans as per the packet instructions if using dried.
- If using tinned drain through the colander over the sink and rise with cold water.
- Put the beans, cooked or tinned, into the slow cooker pot.
- Cut the top and bottom from the leek.
- Slice the leek into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Next peel the butternut squash and cut it into 2 centimetre pieces.
- Now peel the carrots and again cut into 2 centimetre pieces.
- Put these ingredients into the slow cooker pot.
- Next cut the bacon into strips and put this into the pot too.
- Pour over the stock and sprinkle in the oregano and dried mixed herbs.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Put the lid on the pot and turn or for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Once the slow cooker has finished cooking, remove the lid and leave to cool.
- When it’s cool enough to drink using the ladle remove the soup from the slow cooker pot.
- It will need to be removed in two or three batches depending on your the size of your blender.
- Therefore each batch needs to be poured into the sauce pan.
- Once all the batches have been blended heat through in the sauce pan until warm enough to serve.
- Then serve with chickpea flour wraps or cheesy toast and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Bacon and Butternut Squash Soup is a very easy soup to cook and we really enjoyed this dish. It’s a great one to make into a big batch and freeze any leftovers. All the ingredients in this dish are freezable. As I mentioned earlier, Howard and Ted really like eating their soup with cheesy bread and I love it with chickpea flour wraps. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx