When my husband Howard and I were first together we used to order a takeaway on a Saturday night. Nowadays, due to the fact I gave up sugar and processed foods and my gluten allergy, we don’t tend to order any food from the takeaway. As I have mentioned in past blog posts my favourite was always an Indian. Whereas Howard’s favourite takeaway would be Chinese food.
Although Teriyaki isn’t strictly Chinese, it’s actually Japanese, it’s still a stir fry. Plus it’s not really a meal Howard would order from a takeaway menu. It would be a meal I would order and Howard would probably end up trying. I have made a teriyaki salmon in the past so I thought I would try it with chicken. The results were delicious and Howard really enjoyed it too.
- Mixing bowl
- Stirring spoon
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pan or wok
Ingredients for the Teriyaki Sauce
- Tamari x 4 tbsp
- Coconut or brown sugar x 4 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar x 2 tbsp
- Olive oil x 2 tbsp
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Ginger x 1 inch piece
- Water x 4 tbsp
- Black bean sauce x 4 tbsp
Method for the Teriyaki Sauce
- Peel the garlic and slice it thinly.
- Next peel the ginger with the vegetable peeler and slice then dice it.
- In the mixing bowl add the tamari, coconut or brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic cloves, ginger, water and homemade blacke bean sauce.
- Stir these ingredients together.
- Set the sauce aside.
Ingredients for the Stir Fry
- Chicken x 500g
- Spring onions x 8 – 10
- Carrots x 2
- Red pepper x 1
- Green beans x 2 handfuls
- Rice x 300g or noodles x 4 blocks
- If you are using rice then start to cook it now.
- Cook as per the packet instructions.
- Slice the tops and tails from the spring onions and then chop them into 1/2 centimetre pieces.
- Peel the carrot and cut it in half.
- Then slice it lengthways in half again and cut into long thin strips of carrots.
- Cut the top from the pepper and remove the core and seeds.
- Now slice the pepper.
- Finally slice the green beans.
- Put the large frying pan or wok onto a high heat and add oil to the base of the pan.
- When the base is hot add in the spring onions and fry until they start to soften.
- Next add in the chicken and fry until it starts to turn golden brown.
- Add in the carrots, red peppers and green beans and fry for a further few minutes.
- Pour over the sauce and stir all these ingredients now.
- If using noodles cook as per the packet instructions.
- Add the noodles to the teriyaki chicken or put on the side.
- If you have decided to cook rice add to the side of the bowl and serve the chicken next to it.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Stir Fry Teriyaki Chicken and Vegetables with Noodles or Rice was a big hit in our house. When I serve a stir fry to my little family I can guarantee plates will be empty by the time they have finished. These types of meals are quite and easy. They are great for a speedy weekend dinner or a mid week meal too. All the ingredients in the main dish can be frozen. I would not recommend freezing the rice or rice noodles. You could make double of the main dish and freeze it for another occasion. That could be the NEW takeaway night in your house. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx