My son Ted and I love fish and I really like to experiment with different flavours. Recently I brought Miso paste for another recipe. I brought a couple of jars as they were on offer in a certain health food store. It was another one of those evenings when I was a little bit unsure of what to cook for dinner. Therefore I stood at my pantry in the kitchen looking in on all the food. My dad used to laugh at me and he would ask me if there was anything interesting going on.
On that night I knew we would be eating fish so that’s when it hit me. I decided to use the miso paste I had brought and spread it on the fish. Ted’s love of fish is something I want to encourage as much as possible. I also want him to try many different flavours and textures too. On this occasion I decided not to put miso paste on Ted’s piece of fish. It’s quite salty and I didn’t think he would like it. He did try my fish and he said it was ok. I don’t think it was his favourite though. My husband Howard and I really enjoyed this dish and it’s one we will definitely be eating again.
What are your favourite fish dishes and have you ever tried them with Miso paste? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
Ingredients for the Warm Millet Salad
- Millet x 300g or rice
- Red onion x 1
- Green pepper x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Chicken or vegetable stock or bone broth x 600ml
- Dried mixed herbs x 1
- Spinach or kale x 2 handful
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel, slice and dice the onion.
- Set the onion aside.
- Peel the courgette and then grate it on the coarse grater.
- Cut the top from the pepper and remove the core and the stalk.
- Slice and dice the pepper flesh.
- Put the saucepan on the hob and add oil to the base.
- When the pan is hot, add in the spring onions and fry until they become soft.
- Once the onions are soft, add in the courgettes and red pepper and fry these for a few minutes.
- When all the ingredients start to soften, add in the dried mixed herbs.
- Add in the minute and fry for another minute.
- Then pour over the vegetable or chicken stock or bone broth.
- Pour enough stock to cover the millet and then about 2 centimetres above that.
- You may need more stock than I have suggested above, so add the 600mls then if you need more add it.
- Add in salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Turn the heat back up and bring all the ingredients to the boil.
- When the ingredients are at boiling point, turn the heat down and leave to simmer on a low heat.
- If there is a little bit of water in the saucepan with the millet, start to stir it until all the water disappears.
- At the end of the cooking process you may need to turn the heat up slightly but remember to stir the millet so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Once the water in the pan dissolves, add in the kale.
- While the millet is cooking start to prepare the fish.
Ingredients for the Fish
- Basa or Cod
- Miso paste x 4 tbsps
Method for the Fish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Lay the fish on the baking tray and spread a tablespoon of the miso paste onto each fillet with a knife.
- Once the oven has heated up put the fish into it and cook for around 15 – 20 minutes.
- Or until the miso is paste has turned golden brown.
- Serve the millet into a bowl and put the fish on top.
- Then enjoy.
Miso White Fish on Warm Millet Salad was a hit with my husband Howard and I. We really enjoyed this dish and I ate this meal for leftovers the next day. Millet can also be frozen so you could make a big batch then freeze it for another occasion. It’s a great dish to eat mid week or it’s a super speedy meal at the weekend as well. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx