Many years ago, before blenders, people would use a pestle and mortar to make pesto. Pesto originates in Italy and once upon a time the Italians would pound pine nuts, garlic, cheese, aromatic herbs like basil and olive oil together. The term pesto comes from the word pesta which means to grind, pound or crush ingredients.
In ancient Italy pesto was a common persons food. It used herbs instead of spices as herbs were more readily available to the common man and a lot more affordable too. Spices were often expensive and only used by people who could afford them.
For my recipe I have added pesto to mash potato and made it into a potato cake. It definitely an affordable dish that was easy to cook. Personally I think the ancient Italian would have enjoyed the meal below. We all did and we think you will too. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What foods have you eaten pesto in apart from pasta? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Vegetable peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Potato masher
- Frying pan
- Baking tray
- Potatoes x 800g – kg
- Pesto x 2 – 4 tbsp
- Mozzarella x 100g
- Bacon x 8 rashers
- Eggs x 4 – 8
- Tomatoes x 8 large on the vine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by peeling the potatoes and cutting them into 1 inch pieces.
- Now put a large pan of water onto a high heat on the hob and bring to the boil.
- Put the chopped potatoes into the boiling water and bring the heat down.
- Leave to potatoes to simmer in the water for about 12 – 15 minutes.
- Once the potatoes fall from a fork they are cooked.
- Drain the potatoes through the colander and put back into the large pan.
- Cut the mozzarella into cubes and put it in with the potatoes.
- Add in salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Add in the pesto and mash these ingredient together.
- Leave to cool.
- When the mixture is cool enough to tough split as evenly as possible into 4 parts and shape into patties/cakes.
- Put these into the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Next turn the grill onto high and once it’s hot cook the bacon.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, add a little pinch of salt and a little oil to each half.
- Put these under the grill as well.
- Now put the frying pan onto a high heat and add oil.
- Once the pan is hot add in the potato cakes and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Add more oil and fry the egg until slightly crispy underneath.
- When the bacon and tomatoes are cooked take remove it from the grill.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Pesto Potato Cakes with Bacon, Eggs and Tomatoes were a smash hit in our house. My husband Howard and son Ted really enjoyed this dish. So did I. The pesto and mozzarella added a richness to the potatoes. They were smooth and creamy with a little freshness from the basil. The cakes could be made in advance of a meal and frozen. All the ingredients in the potato cakes are freezable. You could make a couple of batches and freeze them for another occasion. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx