Many years ago we would eat herbs in our meals. Our ancestors knew of the health benefits of herbs and eating them in our dinners. Herbs are packed with goodness that can help to heal the body of many aliments. When we eat herbs it can help to protect us against cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Plus lots more as well.
In our house, we add herbs to flavour our meals. In recent years I have been learning how a variety of herbs and spices can help our bodies. We have lived for thousands of years using herbs as food and medicine. As Socrates once said, ‘let food be thy medicine and let medicine be thy food.’
That’s why I’ve been using them a lot more in my cooking. These herbs in the recipe below made it so sweet and lemony. We found the dish addictive and it’s one we will certainly be eating again soon. Below is a video and recipe for you. Do you love herbs and if so what ones do you enjoy? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Fish knife (if possible)
- Chopping board
- Food processer
- Baking tray
Ingredients for the fish balls
- Salmon x 4 fillets
- Almond flour, ground flaxseed or breadcrumbs x 4 tbsps
- Tomato puree x 2tbsps
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the fish balls
- Turn the salmon over, flesh side down, on the chopping board to remove the skin.
- Put one hand on top of the salmon and the hold the knife (fish knife if possible) in the other hand.
- Carefully slice between the flesh and the skin removing it as you go.
- Cut into chunks and set the fish aside.
- Repeat the process for the other pieces of salmon.
- Cut into chunks and put them into the food processor.
- Add in the almond flour, ground flaxseed or breadcrumbs. tomato puree, dried mixed herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend these ingredients together until they form a large dough ball.
- Wet your hands under the tap and begin to form the fishballs.
- Split the salmon mixture into four parts then take one part and divide it into three or four balls.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the mixture.
- Put the balls onto the plate and put the plate into the fridge.
- Leave the fish balls in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Put the fish balls into the baking tray and place in the oven when it preheated.
- Cook the fish balls for 12 – 15 minutes.
Ingredients for the Basil and Lemon Balm Pasta
- Onion x 1
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Courgette x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Tomato x 2 400g tins
- Basil x 1 handful
- Lemon balm x 1 handful
- Kale x 2 handfuls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pasta x 300g
Method for the Basil and Lemon Balm Pasta
- Peel and slice the onion and set this aside.
- Now peel and slice the garlic.
- Add in the sliced onion and garlic.
- Next peel the courgette and grate it.
- Remove the top from the pepper and take out the core and the green stalks.
- Slice and dice the flesh.
- Put the large saucepan onto a high heat and add the oil.
- Wait for the pan to heat up and add in the onions.
- Fry until they start to soften slightly.
- It should take around 5 minutes or so.
- Now add in the garlic and fry for a further few minutes.
- Then add in the courgette and red pepper.
- Fry for another 5 – 10 minutes and then add in the tinned tomatoes.
- Bring these ingredients to the boil and then turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Chop the herbs and add these into the sauce.
- Leave the sauce to cool.
- Once cooled pour the sauce into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the saucepan and keep the sauce warm on a low heat.
- Next cook the pasta of your choice as per the packet instructions.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta and put it into the sauce.
- Stir in the kale until it wilts down.
- Serve the pasta and sauce and fish balls in bowls.
- Then enjoy.
Salmon Fish balls with basil and lemon balm pasta was delicious. My little family loved it. It was that good all the plates were cleaned by the end of the meal. All the ingredients in this meal are freezable so you could make the sauce and fish balls then freeze them. These can be taken out of the freezer and cooked off when they need to be eaten. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx