In the past I have made a few black bean and aubergine recipes. I think these two vegetables compliment each other really well. They both have an earthy rich flavour that works well with tomatoes and peppers. Plus they both have amazing health benefits. Both aubergines and black beans are high in dietary fibre and potassium. Black beans have more thiamin, riboflavin and folate but aubergine has 64% less carbohydrates than black beans.
With all this in mind I decided to try all of these tasty vegetables in a soup. During the winter and even into the spring I enjoy making soups for my family. They are always very filling and of course, super tasty too. My son Ted normally only likes my tomato soup but he does try others soups. Bless him! Howard, my husband, enjoys nearly all of the soups I cook and I think this soup went down very well with everyone. It was, as Howard would say, job done.
What soups do you enjoy in Winter or do you not like soup at all? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Slow cooker
- Stirring spoon
- Dried black beans x 200g
- Onions x 1
- Potatoes x 800g
- Aubergine x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Red pepper x 1
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Vegetable stock x 600mls (or chicken stock or bone broth if not vegan)
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Bay leaves x 2
- Weigh and measure the black beans.
- Soak them overnight in cold water in the fridge.
- When you want to cook the black beans drain them through the colander and rinse.
- Put them into a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them and about 2 inches more.
- Add baking powder to the water and salt.
- Next turn the hob onto high and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling turn the heat down and reduce to a simmer.
- Leave on the hob until the black beans are soft.
- Depending on how old they are will depend on how long they take to soften.
- The baking powder will help to soften them a bit faster.
- When I cook black beans they do normally take around thirty to forty minutes to soften.
- If you haven’t got the time then you can always use tinned instead.
- Put the black into the slow cooker pot.
- Peel, slice and dice the onion.
- Next peel the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch pieces.
- Now peel the courgette and aubergine.
- Then cut these vegetables into 1 centimetre pieces and put all these ingredients into the pot as well.
- Remove the stalk and core from the red pepper.
- Now slice and dice the flesh into 1 centimetre piece
- Pour in the tomatoes and the vegetable stock or chicken stock or bone broth if not vegan.
- Add in the bay leaves, dried oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all these ingredients together with the spoon.
- Turn the slow cooker on for 2 -3 hours on high or 5 – 6 hours on low.
- Finally serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Black Bean, Aubergine and Potato Soup was a delicious soup. My husband Howard, son Ted and I all enjoyed this soup. It was easy to prepare and cook. All of the ingredients in this soup are freezable. Therefore you can make a big batch of soup and freeze the leftovers for another occasion. However you decide to eat this soup, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx