My husband Howard and son Ted love sausages. I’m sure if I wasn’t here they would eat them at every meal. Recently Howard and Ted have noticed that we haven’t eaten sausages for a while. Trust me, these two could stiff out sausages anywhere or not! As much as I love sausages as well, I also love vegetables too. Therefore I decided to make a sausage chilli with loads of veggies. It was a delicious dish that I had to share with you.
Do you love sausages and what is you favourite sausage dinner? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Slow cooker
- Or large saucepan
- and wooden spoon
- and plastic brush
- Baking tray
- Grease proof paper
- Sausages x 8
- Leek x 1
- Carrot x 1 large
- Butternut squash x 1/2 medium
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Green pepper x 1
- Green beans x 2 handfuls
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tin
- Dried pinto beans x 1 100g
- Mild or hot chilli powder x 1 tsp
- Ground ginger x 1 tsp
- Ground coriander x 1 tsp
- Ground cumin x 1 tsp
- Ground sweet cinnamon x 1/2 tsp
- Dried mixed herbs x 1 tsp
- Tamari x 2 tbsps
- Tomato puree x 1 tbsp
- Salt and pepper
- Quinoa or rice x 300g
Method for slow cooker
- Weigh and measure the beans.
- Soak them overnight in cold water in the fridge.
- When you want to cook the beans drain them through the colander and rinse.
- Put them into a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them and about 2 inches more.
- Add baking powder to the water and salt.
- Next turn the hob onto high and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling turn the heat down and reduce to a simmer.
- Leave on the hob until the beans are soft.
- Depending on how old they are will depend on how long they take to soften.
- The baking powder will help to soften them a bit faster.
- When I cook black beans they do normally take around thirty to forty minutes to soften.
- If you haven’t got the time then you can always use tinned instead.
- Put the beans into the slow cooker pot.
- Slice the leek and and peel and slice the garlic and put into the slow cooker.
- Peel and grate the courgette and put this into the slow cooker.
- Next peel half the butternut squash and cut into 1 cm pieces and put this in as well.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes.
- Sprinkle in all the herbs and spices, tamari and the tomato puree.
- Cut the sausages into quarters and put these into the pot too.
- Finally stir all the ingredients together and put on a low heat for eight hours or a high heat for four hours.
- Cook the quinoa or rice as per the packet instructions before the end of the cooking process.
- Then serve and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Sausage Chilli was a hit in our house. Well, it would be with sausages in! It was an easy to prepare and cook. It’s a great meal as it can be made the night before and then the slow cooker can be turned on in the morning. The meal can then cook all day until dinner time. Plus you could make double of this dinner and then store it in the freezer. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx