A few weeks ago I was watching one of my favourite YouTubers Kerry Whelpdale make a Delicious Vegan Red Lentil Curry. It looked delicious so I decided to make my own version of Kerry’s dish. A warm curry on a cold winter’s night is just heaven to me.
Winter is not my favourite time of year but what makes it bearable is the warming foods I make for my family. I love it when I find a new recipe to try too. Although I have adapted many part’s of Kerry’s recipe, I thought it was still yummy.
For this recipe I have made my own curry paste which is simple and easy to do. Plus I have also used homemade chicken stock or you could use homemade vegetable stock if you want to make it vegan. Oh and I cooked mine in the slow cooker and not on the hob. Apart from those adjustments everything was fairly similar. It’s definitely one of my new favourite curries.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Serving spoon
Ingredient for the curry paste
- Red chilli x 1 – 2
- Ginger x 1 inch piece
- Garlic x 2 cloves
- Lemongrass x 2
- Olive oil x 50mls
Method for the curry paste
- Remove the stalk from the chillies and slice in half.
- Scrape out the seeds with the back of the knife, if you’re a wuss like me.
- Next peel the skin from the piece of ginger and the garlic cloves.
- Cut the lemongrass into 1 centimetre pieces and put all of these ingredients into the blender.
- Add the olive oil and blend all the ingredients together until a smooth paste is formed.
- Set side.
Ingredients for the Red Lentil Curry
- Cod x 500g
- Red Lentils x 300g
- Onion x 1
- Carrot x 1
- Courgette x 1
- Tomatoes x 1 400g tin
- Curry paste x all see above
- Chicken or vegetable stock x 500mls
- Garam Masala x 1 tsp
- Cinnamon x 1 tsp
- Coconut milk x 1 400g tin
- Green beans x 4 large handfuls
Method for the Slow Cooker
- Start by peeling and thinly slicing the onion.
- Next peel and grate the carrot and courgette.
- Pour the lentils into the slow cooker.
- Now add the prepared vegetables and the curry paste.
- If it’s difficult to get all the curry paste from the blender, add stock to the cup of the blender and blend until the paste residue has been removed from the sides.
- Pour in the stock and the tomatoes.
- Add the garam masala and cinnamon.
- Stir all together.
- Put the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Thirty minutes before the end of the cooking time cut the fish into chunks.
- Add this to the curry along with the coconut milk and green beans.
- Then serve with quinoa or rice and enjoy.
Slow Cooked Red Lentil and Cod Curry is definitely a recipe I will be making in the future. The added benefit of the dish is you can make it for a vegan or vegetarian in your family and take out their portion. If you are not a vegan or vegetarian you can then add cod to the recipe. All the ingredients in this meal are freezable too. It’s a great meal to make extra and put in the freezer for another meal later on. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.
What’s your favourite food in winter? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you 🙂