Crispy Duck Pancakes with a Hoisin Sauce were one of those items I would order from the Chinese takeaway if we wanted to push the boat out a little. By that I mean if we wanted to treat ourselves. My friend however, would always order these from the takeaway. I really enjoyed eating a crisp duck pancake but now I’m gluten intolerant those days are gone. Or so I thought!
As you know I love to be in my kitchen cooking and inventing new dishes for my family and me to try. My husband started talking about Chinese and how he loves Crispy Duck Pancakes. It got me thinking that I could make a gluten free version of the dish.
So that is what I did. Instead of duck however I used leftover chicken. Believe it or not my husband isn’t actually a big fan of duck so I decided to use chicken. It worked just as well and instead of the Chinese pancakes I used sweet potato pancakes. Again these worked just as well. My little family loved this dish and we know you will too.
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping Board
- Small sauce pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- Plastic brush
- Fish slice
- Wooden Spoon
- Nutribullet or blender
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Sweet potato pancakes x 200g
- Non dairy milk x 400mls
- Salt x 1 tsp
- Gluten free oats x 200g
- Eggs x 2 large
- Oil for the pan
Method for sweet potato pancakes
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Put a small saucepan of water on a high heat and put the colander on top.
- Now place the sweet potato pieces into the colander and put the lid on top of the sweet potato.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Then set aside.
- Pour the oats into the Nutribullet or blender and blend until they resemble a flour.
- Add these to a mixing bowl and add the salt.
- Mix these together.
- Next add the milk and sweet potato to the blender and blend until they form a smoothie.
- Pour the smoothie over the oats.
- Crack the eggs into the mixing bowl and mix all these ingredients together.
- Once the mixture resembles a pancake mix put the frying pan on a high heat.
- Add the oil and spread it as evenly as possible across the base of the pan
- Wait until the pan is hot and scoop enough pancake mixture from the bowl to form an American style pancake.
- When the pancake starts to cook around the outside it should be ok to flip over.
- Just check that the bottom of the pancake has started to go golden brown before you flip it over.
- Once this pancake is golden brown on both sides, repeat the process until all the pancake mixture is used.
- It should make at least 8 pancakes, maybe more.
- Then set aside until ready to serve.
Ingredients for the Plum Sauce
- Plums x 8
- Coconut sugar x 2 tbsp
- Water x 50mls
- Ground cinnamon x 1 tsp
Method for the plum sauce
- Wash the plums and them cut them into ¼’s and remove the stone.
- Put the plums into the small saucepan.
- Add the sugar, water and cinnamon.
- Place the pan on a low heat and leave to simmer gently.
- Stir occasionally until the plums soften.
- Once the fruit has softened and the sugar has dissolved, set the sauce aside.
Ingredients for the black bean sauce
- Black beans x 1 400g tin
- Spring onions x 4
- Ginger x 1 inch piece
- Tomato puree x 1 tbsp
- Tamari or soy sauce x 1 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar x 1 tbsp
- Vegetable stock x 200mls
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the Black Bean Sauce
- Top and tail the spring onions and slice into ½ centimetre pieces.
- Remove the skin from the ginger with the sharp knife and slice.
- Put the frying pan on a high heat and fry the spring onion until it softens.
- Add in the ginger and fry for a further few minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Drain the black beans through the colander and wash under the tap.
- Now add these to the frying pan and stir into the other ingredients.
- Next add in the tomato puree, tamari or soy sauce and the apple cider vinegar.
- Leave on the hob to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Once cool, pour into the blender and blend these ingredients until smooth.
- Set aside.
Ingredients for the Chicken
- Uncooked or cooked chicken x 500g
- Black bean sauce x 8 tbsps
- Plum sauce x 8 tbsp
- If using uncooked chicken, put the frying pan on a high heat and add oil.
- Spread the oil as evenly as possible with the plastic brush.
- While the pan heats, cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces.
- When the pan is hot, put the chicken in and cook until golden brown.
- Add in both the sauces and stir for a few minutes until they are warmed through.
- However, if using cooked chicken, turn the pan onto a medium heat and add in the sauces.
- Then add in the chicken and continue to heat for a few minutes.
- Now plate up the pancakes and chicken.
- Put two pancakes on the plate and add chicken to one.
- Place the other pancake on top and then serve with a warm salad.
- Finally enjoy.
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Chicken in Plum and Black Bean Sauce was time consuming and one meal I would probably make on the weekend. It took a little while to get all the bits together, but once I had, the dish was well worth the effort. Sweet Potato Pancakes with Chicken in Plum and Black Bean Sauce was time consuming and one meal I would probably make on the weekend. You could make all the sauces on the weekend and the pancakes are freezable so they could be made at the weekend and frozen. Then you can make this dish during the week too. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, enjoy.
Do you like crispy pancakes? What’s your favourite treat from the Chinese takeaway? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx