A couple of weeks ago I was watching Jamie Oliver on his YouTube channel make a fresh fruit punch with hot water for kids and grown ups. I began to think about all of the drinks I have made with just hot water before.
In the morning I normally make a Lemon, Lime and Ginger Hot Water. Then last summer I made a Lavender Limeade. Both of these drinks are so refreshing that I began to wonder how an orange and ginger water would taste.
So I set to work and came up with the recipe below. I drank this on a very warm summers day and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As I was drinking it I thought it would be good as a hot drink on a cold winters day too. It’s a versatile drink that’s delicious in either summer or winter.
Makes 1 – 2 litres
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Large bowl
- Oranges x 2
- Fresh ginger x 1 inch piece
- Honey x 1 – 2 tsps (optional)
- Water x 1 – 2 litres (depends on how much your kettle holds)
- Slice one of the oranges in half and juice it into the large bowl with the fork.
- Now slice the second orange and put the slices into the bowl.
- Next peel the ginger and then grate the ginger into the large bowl using the zester.
- Fill the kettle with water and boil it.
- Pour over the hot water and leave it to cool.
- Once it’s cooled a little, taste it and if it’s not sweet enough add the honey.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Then pour the orangeade through the sieve into the jug.
- Store in the fridge to cool down further then drink and enjoy.
Ginger Orangeade was a spicy fruity drink that really helped to quench my thirst on a hot summers day. It would be a great drink to serve to friends at a BBQ or summer party. It will keep in the fridge for 3 – 5 days so it could be made in advance of an event. Plus all the ingredients are freezable and it will store in the freezer for up to six weeks. However you decide to drink this flavoured water, as always, please enjoy.
Have you tried an orangeade like this one before and if so, did you love it as much as me? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx