Beans are a great condiment to many meals. When I gave up sugar and processed foods I thought I would have to give up baked beans. However I started to think about what goes into beans and I decided to try to make my own version. One day I really fancied cheesy beans but I don’t eat a lot of cheese. So I then decided to combine my cashew cream cheese and the result was amazing. The recipe is simple and easy to do and I have now a video of how to make this delicious dish on my YouTube Channel Googie’s Kitchen. Plus the blog post is belew the picture.
Do you love sausage, chips and beans and would you consider going vegan? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Nutribullet or blender
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Vegetable peeler
- Large saucepan
- Plastic brush
- Wooden spoon
- Baking trays x 2
Ingredients for the cheesy no cheese baked beans
- Cashew nuts
- Non dairy milk of your choice x enough to cover the nuts
- Nutritional yeast x 4 tbsps
- Haricot beans x 2 400g tins
- Onion x 1
- Carrots x 2
- Celery stick x 2
- Tomatoes x 2 400g tins
- Vegetable stock x 200mls
- Smoked paprika x 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for the pan
Method for the cheesy no cheese baked beans
- Pour the milk over the cashew nuts and put in the fridge for six hours or preferably overnight.
- Before you start cooking the beans, put the cashew nuts, milk and nutritional yeast (optional) into the blender or nutribullet cup.
- Blend these ingredients together and set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion into small pieces.
- Next peel the carrots, cutting length ways then slicing thinly.
- Slice the celery thinly too.
- Put the large saucepan on a high heat and add the oil.
- Spread the oil across the base of the pan with the plastic brush.
- When the pan is hot, add in the onion and fry until they become translucent/see through.
- Add in the carrots and celery and fry until they start to soften.
- Pour in the tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down and leave to simmer.
- Leave the sauce on the hob for about 30 minutes.
- Stir the sauce throughout this time.
- Then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- After about 20 minutes pour the sauce into the blender.
- Sprinkle in the smoked paprika.
- Blend all these ingredients together.
- Once blended, add the cashew nut cream cheese and blend again for a further minute.
- Pour the sauce back into the saucepan and put on a low heat.
- Drain and rinse the haricot beans under the tap.
- Add the beans to the sauce and stir them round.
- Again leave the beans on the hob for about 30 minutes.
- Stir them occasionally.
- Meanwhile cook the chips and sausages as per the recipe/pack instructions.
Ingredients for the chips
- Potatoes x 2 large
- Garlic x 8 cloves
- Rosemary x 3 sprigs
- Oil for the baking tray
Method for the chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into thin strips.
- Put the chips into the baking tray.
- Drizzle over the oil.
- Toss the chips in the oil until they are covered.
- Add in the garlic and rosemary.
- When the oven has preheated put the chips in.
- Cook for about 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and serve with the sausages and beans.
Ingredients for the vegan sausages
- Vegan sausages x 1 pack
Method for the vegan sausages
- Cook as per the packet instructions.
Vegan Sausages, Chips and Cheesy No Cheese Baked Beans are delicious. As I mentioned earlier we all enjoyed this dinner. The best part about cooking my homemade beans is that all the ingredients are freezable. So I can make double the amount and freeze what we don’t eat for another occasion. The next meal we eat with beans has just been made even easier. However you decide to eat this meal, as always, please enjoy.
Thank you. xxx