My husband and I love cooking a roast for our Sunday lunch. They are always a big hit in this house. We are quite a traditional family and we will normally eat a roast dinner on a Sunday. Our favourite is roast chicken. I like to stew the bones to make stock for other meals. It’s one way to make our roast go further.
We always seem to eat our dinner with the same vegetables. Which are yummy. If you read this blog regularly you will know, I like to invent new ways to eat our dinner. I enjoy adding flavour to dishes. I think it makes meal times more interesting. So I decided to try different flavours with our normal steamed cabbage. The results were delicious so I had to share this recipe with you.
Do you like cabbage with your roast or are you more of a peas person? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me.
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Small red cabbage x 1
- Sesame seed oil x 2 tbsps
- Orange x 1 (juice)
- Ground sweet cinnamon or ground cinnamon x 1 – 2 tsp
- Remove any leaves from the outside of the cabbage that may have been damaged.
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core.
- The core will be the white part at the bottom of the cabbage.
- Slice at a right angle above the white part and it will remove it.
- Next slice the cabbage and then cut 1 centimetre pieces along the slices.
- Put the chopped cabbage into the colander.
- Add boiling water from the kettle to the large saucepan and put the colander on top.
- Please make sure the colander sits on top of the pan and not in the water.
- Place the pan on a medium heat on the hob, put the lid on top of the cabbage and steam for about 20 minutes.
- Towards the end of the cooking process, remove the lid and add the sesame seed oil, the juice of 1 orange and the cinnamon.
- Mix all these ingredients together with a spoon.
- Serve with a roast dinner of your choice.
Sesame, Orange and Cinnamon Steamed Cabbage was a very tasty compliment to our roast dinner. We ate this dish with my BBQ Roast Chicken recipe. My mouth was filled with lots of scrummy flavours during this meal and it’s one roast extra that I will definitely be making again. However you decide to eat this, as always, enjoy! Thank you. xxx