When I was a child, my Nan would take my brother and I to Switzerland for 2-3 weeks during the summer holidays. We would visit my Aunt, Uncle and cousins while we were there. I always remember eating this dish while I was there. I had never thought of making it myself until the other day.
We really enjoy egg and chips but I fancied a change. I had a memory of my uncle cooking this in Switzerland and I decided to give it a try myself. When we ate this in Switzerland I don’t think we had it with eggs and kale. It was probably served with cheese, knowing my Swiss relatives. I decided to serve it with fried eggs and kale. The results were so tasty I just had to share it with you. Below is a video and recipe for you.
- Potato peeler
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Frying pans x 2
- Eggs x 4
- Onion x 1
- Potato x 800g
- Vegan or unsalted butter or ghee x 2 knobs
- Olive or sunflower oil x 1 tablespoon
- Homemade Baked Beans x 1 recipe
- Start by making the Homemade Baked Beans with no carrots or onions.
- Preheat the grill on medium to high.
- Peel and thinly slice an onion and set aside.
- Next peel and coarsely grate the potatoes and set aside.
- Put a large frying pan on a medium to high heat.
- Add two large knobs of a butter of your choice and the olive or sunflower oil.
- Once the pan is hot add the onion and fry until it starts to soften.
- It should take at least 3 – 5 minutes.
- When the onion starts to soften add in the potato and fry until it becomes golden brown.
- If the frying pan starts to smoke then turn the heat down.
- The potato will start to glue together but just keep moving it around the pan until it’s all a nice golden colour.
- Then pat it down until it’s flat and put it under the grill until the whole rosti is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, fry your eggs.
- Put another pan on a high heat and add oil to the base of the pan.
- Once the pan is hot crack the eggs and add them to the pan.
- I like to put a bowl, plate or lid over the eggs while they are cooking in the pan.
- It should be an object that is easy to remove from the frying pan.
- This helps the eggs whites on the top to cook.
- Once everything is cooked, remove it and serve with Ketchup or my homemade Tommy K.
- Then enjoy.
Potato Rosti, Fried Egg and Kale was a big hit with my husband Howard and myself. My son Ted, was not so keen. For me, the bonus was this was a really easy dish to cook. At first, I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive and concerned the potato wouldn’t cook in the middle. I was however, pleasantly surprised by the results. I don’t think this is one for the deep freeze but definitely a great mid week meal. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, please enjoy. Thank you xxx