My Dad would make a cauliflower cheese on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas) or if we were having a boiled gammon or roast lamb. Sadly cheese, cream, milk nor full fat yogurt are my friends. It’s not that they make me sick but they don’t help my Polycystic Ovaries (PCOS). Occasionally I will eat them but I know they don’t tend to agree with my body.
So since giving up processed foods and sugars I have been looking for alternatives to my favourite dishes. I thought about this a little while ago and I decided to try it when we had friends for dinner (pre-COVID). It’s a very simple dish that I think is even easier to make than normal cauliflower cheese.
Cashew Nuts are a great source of protein, fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals which are essential for improving PCOS symptoms. They also include some healthy fats that can have an anti-inflammatory effect. Nuts and seeds are high in minerals such as magnesium, zinc, and calcium. Just one serving of nuts or seeds a day can help to support your body. So this version of cauliflower cheese is well worth a try. Below is a video and recipe for you.
What do you love to eat with a roast dinner? Let me know in the comments below and please don’t forget to like and follow me. Thank you. xxx
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping board
- Large Saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Cashew Nut Cream Cream x 1
- Cauliflower x 1
- Broccoli x 1
- Start by making sure the cashew nut cream cheese is made and in the fridge.
- Next cut the greens from the cauliflower and cut into small pieces.
- Then cut the stalk from the brocolli and again cut this into small pieces.
- Put a large saucepan of water on the hob and put on a high heat.
- Now put the broccoli and cauliflower into the water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and bring to the boil.
- Once the pan is boiling remove the lid and turn down the heat.
- Boil the broccoli and cauliflower for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Once soft remove from the heat and pour the contents in the coliander letting the excess water drain away.
- To check that the cauliflower and broccoli are cooked put a folk into them and if the fall off easily they are cooked.
- Place the cooked cauliflower and broccoli back into the pan and add the cashew nut cream cheese.
- Stir these ingredients together.
- If it’s too thick add a little bit of a non diary milk.
- Plus if you want to heat it up put the pan back on the warm hob and stir.
- Serve with a roast dinner, nut roast if vegan and enjoy.
Cashew Nut Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese is delicious. It’s yummy with a roast but we also had leftovers last week so I decided to add pasta to it. So it became Cashew Nut Cauliflour, Brocolli and Pasta Cheese which was also yummy. I made my cashew nut cream cheese a week in advance to and then I put it in the freezer. All the ingredients are freezable so it can be made and frozen. My husband and son are not great fans of this dish but I love it and if you would like a healthier alternative then I think this is a good one. However you decide to eat this dish, as always, enjoy.